starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter problems

Working on the 450 winter project, finally got starter system working well. But of course all of a sudden it only clicks at selenoid and starter doesn't engage. I'm getting juice to the starter when I push the button. So I'm assuming the starter is probably bad now. (was working fine before). Does anyone know if a starter from a 78 550 will fit my 81 450? I have a old parts bike. I'm planning to take starter out and try to get it tested at a auto parts store. Also where are the fuel mixture screws on the carbs on this 450? I did locate small round covers with tiny hole in them on the outside of carbs, are the screw under those? Thanks terrylee
    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2009, 08:40 PM.

Mixture screws are under those caps. Lots of GS starters interchange. Check Stockers or Rick's and look for interchangeable part numbers. http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results.php
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did you recharge the battery?

Starters don't just die as a rule, they slowly get worse

What are you voltage readings along the high power starter wire? *begin at the battery with starter button pushed
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

starter

Thanks for the responses. Yes I did charge the battery and getting about 12.4 volts off it, didn't try checking while pushing button, will do when I get home. I'll check the parts list and see if it will exchange. terrylee

Comment

Try jumping directly from the battery to the starter (good jumper cables, last connection: ground to frame bolt). If it works well, then it could be the internal solenoid contacts.

You will have to remove the cam chain tensioner to pull the starter. Don't turn the motor while the tensioner is out, and make sure you know how to reset and reinstall it.

Comment

Thanks Don, I did put on a new starter selenoid and no change. Even tried jumping between the two bolts on it with a screwdriver and it would spark, but starter still doesn't turn. Luckly I have rebuilt chain tensioner on my bike before, so know how to put it back on, but thanks for the warning. Still at work so not able to do anything right now. Terrylee

Comment

I checked the volts while pushing the starter button, on the red starter cable on the solenoid and it jumped all around from 11.5, and anywhere from 9 and even 5. sometimes. on the cable to the starter I got 5-6 volts and no higher than 8 something. Haven't had chance to try jumper cables, off work tomorrow so will try then. terrylee

Comment

With voltage going that low when under load, there are (at least) two possibilites.

1. The battery is toast and can't handle the current. Use jumper cables to a non-running car to test. If the bike starts when using the car's battery, replace the bike battery.

2. The starter is toast. Take it out, inspect it and clean the brushes. Sometimes there is some crud in the brushes that prevents good electrical contact. You may find that the brushes are worn out. Or it could be bad bushings binding up, not allowing the starter motor to turn.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I tried touching the positive cable directly from the battery to the starter cable with it disconnected from the solenoid, got sparks,but starter did nothing. I charged the battery again (it's almost new) did that before I tried direct hook up, and it reads 12.5 volts with no load. Looks like I'll be taking the starter out and taking a look inside. Thanks for the help guys. terrylee

Comment

Terry

He meant using an external battery, like the one in your car

Rig up jumper cables and apply at bike solenoid/starter cable connection

If the starter spins, your bike battery is bad (it happens)
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Check your ground, take it out and clean it. Mine was bad. if that doesn't do it, clean the commutor on the starter witha pencil eraser or lightly with 300 to 400 sandpaper

Comment

my gs starter had same symtoms,on mine the brushes were wore and everthing else looked o.k. they were easy to replace and only about ten bucks 10 yrs ago??

Comment

starter

thanks for the quick responses. I took the starter out and it would not even turn by hand. So I took it apart and the magnets on the inside were broken in several places, tried putting back together, but didn't work. So I checked the part number from a 78 550 parts bike I have and the number is only one number off. So I took it out and it looks like the same one, so will give it a try after work tomorrow. I'm excited that once again this $50 part bike may come through again! terrylee

Comment

Good troubleshooting.

Yeah, that 550 starter should fit fine. Did you test it before you installed it? Also, check to see if the o-ring on the tip is "fluffy".

lol

Comment

starter

I haven't checked it yet but will do so before I install. If you are talking about the rubber o-ring around the gear spindle(guess it might be called that) it luckly looks good. It does spin freely by hand so I'm hoping it works, if the brushes are bad looks as though I can use the ones out of the 450 starter, they looked pretty good. GSs rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X