X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas on the ground....Carb question.

GS750GUY here again.

This just suddenly started happening the other day:

I was getting my 78 GS750EC ready for a ride the other day and when I dropped the bike down from its center stand and began pushing the bike out of the garage I noticed on the floor of the garage the bike left two perfectly parallel lines of fuel on the garage floor about three feet long that was created as I pushed the bike across the floor and out to the driveway.

When I fired up the engine, it immediately started right up as usual but did not immediately rev to about 2500 to 3000 rpm as it usually does. The engine seemed to run smoothly but very slowly over a period of 30 to 60 seconds did it finally rev up to about the 3000 rpm mark so I could back off the choke and drop it back down to the 2500 mark for a little warm up period.

After the warm up period, the bike idles, runs, and performs beautifully.

This has happened the last three times I have ridden the bike and I'm just wondering what is causing the bike to suddenly start dumping two short paralell lines of fuel onto the floor as I push the bike out of the garage and if this is possibly related to what I am experiencing with my initial engine start up idle speed.

Thanks again for your GS wisdom.

GS750GUY

Was your petcock in the PRI position?

Eric

Comment

When the float bowls get too full it goes out the overflow tubes.
      Most likely they are getting too full because of a petcock which no longer shuts off the fuel completely. If it does not go out on the floor until you move the bike it is not leaking really badly, if it was it would drip all the time when it is parked. These bowls being too full explains the odd running for the first minute or so until some fuel burns off, while the fuel level is too high it is getting more fuel than it was when everything was working normally.

Test the petcock for proper function, if it's not working take it apart and clean it out, you will likely end up buying a new one, which will last another thirty years or so...

Just saw the post above, yes check if it was in PRI.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        When the float bowls get too full it goes out the overflow tubes.
        Most likely they are getting too full because of a petcock which no longer shuts off the fuel completely. If it does not go out on the floor until you move the bike it is not leaking really badly, if it was it would drip all the time when it is parked. These bowls being too full explains the odd running for the first minute or so until some fuel burns off, while the fuel level is too high it is getting more fuel than it was when everything was working normally.

Test the petcock for proper function, if it's not working take it apart and clean it out, you will likely end up buying a new one, which will last another thirty years or so...

Just saw the post above, yes check if it was in PRI.
        Thanks guys for your response. No the petcock was not set on prime. How would I test the petcock for proper function? When I restored the bike I did rebuild the petcock and installed a new rubber internal gasket.
        GS750Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
          Thanks guys for your response. No the petcock was not set on prime. How would I test the petcock for proper function? When I restored the bike I did rebuild the petcock and installed a new rubber internal gasket.
          GS750Guy.
          With petcock in the "On" position if gas comes out of the fuel line without the bike running the petcock is bad (if it's a vacuum operated type), so a potentially messy test is just pull off the fuel line with the bike shut off.

Opposite problem (with vacuum type) would be fuel NOT coming out the fuel line in the "On" position when you suck on the vacuum hose.

Comment

Keep an eye on your oil level. If gas leaks past your petcock it can end up in your crankcase.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              With petcock in the "On" position if gas comes out of the fuel line without the bike running the petcock is bad (if it's a vacuum operated type), so a potentially messy test is just pull off the fuel line with the bike shut off.

Opposite problem (with vacuum type) would be fuel NOT coming out the fuel line in the "On" position when you suck on the vacuum hose.

Mine is the vacuum type.
              So if I'm thinking correctly.....my problem cannot be the opposite problem that you mention above because my engine does run. If this were the problem the carbs would be getting no fuel to the carbs at all and the engine would not run. Is that right?

If it is the first problem you mention above where the petcock is bad and leaking with the petcock in the ON position will I find fuel continuously dripping under the bike basically until the tank drains out of gas?

GS750Guy

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Keep an eye on your oil level. If gas leaks past your petcock it can end up in your crankcase.
                No, these are VM carbs, with overflow tubes. Fuel should just **** out on the ground below the bike.
                The EPA mandated lack of overflow tubes came with the CV carbs.

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post

If it is the first problem you mention above where the petcock is bad and leaking with the petcock in the ON position will I find fuel continuously dripping under the bike basically until the tank drains out of gas?

GS750Guy
                Yes, it can put a whole tank on the ground.

Comment

Similar problem on a Honda twin that I was tinkering on, but it seems to FLOW right out of the float bowl overflow spout (only on one side) about a second after I turn the petcock on.

Engine seems to run fine, but I haven't run it much or for long because of all the gas on the engine case and ground.

No solution yet, will tinker more and keep my eyes on this thread.

(bike was on centre stand, not side stand)

Comment

Here is a thought......could this possibly be the cause???:

I read somewhere that if the bike sits for a couple of weeks or so between rides you should move the petcock to its prime position for 30 seconds or so and then back to the ON position in order to prime the carbs before starting the engine.

If I move the petcock to the prime position when in fact the carbs DO NOT NEED TO BE PRIMED, will this action dump excess fuel into the bowls causing some of the excess to dump out onto the floor through the overflow hoses when I drop the bike off its center stand??? Is this a possibility??

For the heck of it, I placed a clean piece of cardboard under the bike and left it overnight and find there are no signs of any fuel at all leaking onto the cardboard. The only time I see fuel drop to the floor is when I drop the bike off its center stand. I then only see two parallel three foot streaks of fuel on the floor as I push the bike out of the garage and then see no fuel drips at all as the bike sits in the driveway prior to me riding off.

GS750GUY

Comment

The petcock works like this.

In the "Prime" position fuel will flow with the engine off.
                      In the "On" position fuel will flow only if the engine is running.
                      In the "Res" position it works just like the "on" position. Should be used when the tank is almost out of fuel.

If the petcock is failing and fuel is flowing when in the "On" theorically, the needle valve seats should prevent fuel from flooding the engine. So, I would say your rebuilt petcock is a bust OR the needle valves aren't doing the job. Did you rebuild the carbs with new o-rings ? If so, the needle valve seats should be good.

Take off the oil fill cap on the clutch cover and see if you can smell fuel.....that's funny..."see" if you can "smell" fuel.....anyway, if you get a strong smell of fuel, DO NOT run the engine. Fix the problem, drain the oil, change the filter, fill it with new oil, run the engine for 100 miles or so and change it all again. You do not want fuel in the oil.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

In the "Res" position it works just like the "on" position. Should be used when the tank is almost out of fuel.

To clarify for those who have never been inside the tank. A plastic tube sticks upwards into the tank from the petcock. It has two openings. the one closer to the bottom of the tank is closed in the "on" position, this stops you from getting that last inch or so of fuel. In the "Pri" position this hole opens. I think it's a holdover from the days before fuel gauges when you needed a waring you only had about a gallon left.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                          The petcock works like this.

In the "Prime" position fuel will flow with the engine off.
                          In the "On" position fuel will flow only if the engine is running.

If the petcock is failing and fuel is flowing when in the "On" theorically, the needle valve seats should prevent fuel from flooding the engine. So, I would say your rebuilt petcock is a bust OR the needle valves aren't doing the job. Did you rebuild the carbs with new o-rings ? If so, the needle valve seats should be good.

Take off the oil fill cap on the clutch cover and see if you can smell fuel.....that's funny..."see" if you can "smell" fuel.....anyway, if you get a strong smell of fuel, DO NOT run the engine. Fix the problem, drain the oil, change the filter, fill it with new oil, run the engine for 100 miles or so and change it all again. You do not want fuel in the oil.
                          Again, these are not CV carbs, the fuel should not go into the crankcase, it has float bowl overflow tubes to prevent this. This could only happen if the overflow tubes were routed up over the carbs, or if they were completely plugged.

Depending on which petcock you have, the rebuild kits may or may not work. On some the parts don't fit at all, they go in but cannot shut off the fuel, they are designed incorrectly.
                          The only way to know if it works is to test it. The petcock should completely shut off the flow of fuel from the larger fuel port when there is no vacuum applied to the vacuum port.

If fuel is flowing when the engine is off, the petcock is at fault. Although the needle valves in the float bowls may hold this fuel back, it is not their job, and they are not designed to do this. They are only designed to keep the fuel at a constant level while the engine is running, not to stop the flow completely.

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
                          Similar problem on a Honda twin that I was tinkering on, but it seems to FLOW right out of the float bowl overflow spout (only on one side) about a second after I turn the petcock on.

Engine seems to run fine, but I haven't run it much or for long because of all the gas on the engine case and ground.

No solution yet, will tinker more and keep my eyes on this thread.

(bike was on centre stand, not side stand)
                          In this case the needle valve is not controlling the fuel in the bowl to a constant level, it is flowing more fuel that the engine can burn. Something to do with the needle valve is stuck open. Sometimes the float sticks to the bottom of the empty bowl, so try tapping on the float bowl while the petcock is turned on to see if the overflow stops, if not you will have to go in and find out why. Could be a chunk of something stuck in there, could be some part of the valve is bent somehow. Take the float bowl off and see what is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            In this case the needle valve is not controlling the fuel in the bowl to a constant level, it is flowing more fuel that the engine can burn. Something to do with the needle valve is stuck open. Sometimes the float sticks to the bottom of the empty bowl, so try tapping on the float bowl while the petcock is turned on to see if the overflow stops, if not you will have to go in and find out why. Could be a chunk of something stuck in there, could be some part of the valve is bent somehow. Take the float bowl off and see what is wrong.
                            Thanks for providing direction. I hope to get at it soon and I'll let y'all know what I figure out.

Comment

[QUOTE=tkent02;1118140]Again, these are not CV carbs, the fuel should not go into the crankcase, it has float bowl overflow tubes to prevent this. This could only happen if the overflow tubes were routed up over the carbs, or if they were completely plugged.

Thanks tkent02!

Please enlighten me a little more regarding your statement above regarding my carbs not being the CV type on my 78 GS750EC and how fuel should not end up in the crankcase.

I checked and find my overflow tubes are routed properly below the carbs and shoot straight to the floor. And I find there is no fuel smell in the crankcase.

GS750GUY

Comment

Working...
                              X