Handlebar swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar swap question

Well it looks like I've found a suitable higher bar locally to replace my low bars - it will be similar to the stock high bars found on the G and early E models. (I have a 1980 GSX750ET) TSCC and BS32SS CV carbs

Looks like I'm going to have to get longer throttle, clutch cables and upper front brake line as the current ones are a snug fit with the lower bars. I was thinking of ordering ones from an L model - would these do the trick? Will they have the same end attachments? When did they start producing L models?

I'm also going to have a problem with the handlebar switch blocks - the wiring is going to be way too short with the higher bars in place. WOuld it be difficult to extend the wiring (for someone with zero electrical knowledge)? What will I need? Or will I just have to find a set of L model switchblocks with the standard longer wiring?

cheers

Originally posted by Ricko19 View Post
    I'm also going to have a problem with the handlebar switch blocks - the wiring is going to be way too short with the higher bars in place. WOuld it be difficult to extend the wiring (for someone with zero electrical knowledge)? What will I need? Or will I just have to find a set of L model switchblocks with the standard longer wiring?

cheers
    Redoing wiring is pretty easy. all you need is a pair of wire strippers, plastic connectors and new wire and electrical tape. all this can be bought at wal-mart. You won't need that many connectors but they do make smaller sets but you will need two for every wire.

Start by cutting the wires and stripping the all the ends. then cut the new wire to the desired length and strip the ends. place new wire in connector with old wire and crimp the connect to attach the wire together. make sure to connect the same wire back together with the new extend wire. after all the connections are remade check the system if it works (if it doesn't check all connections till you find the problem) then wrap the wires together with the electrical tape to make a new wire harness.(you may have to remove the old wrapping to get to the wires)

Comment

Thanks Jive - I'll give it a go. How do you know what size/type of wire to use?

Can anyone tell me about the L models and their cables?

Comment

You can always take a piece of the wire with you to the store (any auto parts store or electronic store with have different gauges of wire) i think its 18 gauge but don't quote me on that it may be 20 gauge but they shouldn't be larger than 18

Comment

If you do this I'd recommend you get wire in colors to match the factory wiring..

You can get it here by the foot. I've ordered from them.. Good quick service.

TXL 18g is what you want.

Solder and heat shrink your splices.

If I wanted to do this I'd order the wire and then get connectors from Eastern Beaver to make plug in extension harnesses.

Comment

Have you checked to see the cables & wires haven't been routed different, to accomodate your lower bars? Have never heard of anyone shortning the wires for shorter handlebars. If your new handlebars are similar to the orig bars, wouldn't the orig "E" cables & stuff be better than the "L" stuff? "L" cables are quite a bit longer. Just my opinion.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys

rphillips: My bike seems to have come standard with the low bars (its a Canadian import) and all the other bikes of the same model that I have seen down here in Oz have the low bars as well. They are definately shorter cables to fit these bars. Older E models would have different cable for the different engines wouldn't they? G models would be the right size but again I thought they would have deferent cables because of the TSCC engine - thats why I was thinking L model but I'm only guessing here

Comment

I don't know about the Canada models, but if your new bars are like the US models orig. bars, cables for the US model "80" 750 E should be what you need. I would think the "L" cables would be tttttooooo long. Just my opinion.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

cheers mate I'll check that out and will probably end up ordering a set over from the US

Comment

Working...
                  X