GS1000L Won't start now!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000L Won't start now!!!

My GS1000L project was running, now it won't start. I bought new plugs, and it started once went for a ride now, nothing, even with blowing some carb cleaner at it. Has spark, and the plugs seem to have some moisture on them. I don't know what happened. Please tell me where to start. My niece loves trashing around the back fields on this beast with me.
    Thanks,
    Dave

"Trashing around the back fields" on a 1000L? WOW!

First of all, put the carb cleaner spray away. It's not meant to burn, and even if it were, don't use it to start a bike.

OK, it's a "project", meaning you have had to do a bunch of stuff. What have you done to it besides new spark plugs? How long have you had the bike and how much have you ridden it? Is this something that has just happened to a well-running bike, or were you just lucky to get it started that one time?

One of the classic problems that causes hard starting is tight valves. Have you adjusted the valves? If you don't know for certain when the valves were last adjusted, assume they have not been done and they are way past due.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Narrowing it down.

Engine is getting fuel, how much hard to tell. The plugs are damp after lots of cranking. WhenI pull a plug to chek the spark it seems weak and inconsistant. The bike has 6900 miles. 100% stock. I have put about 50 miles on it. Used to fire right up. I have cleaned the points a couple times before, when it would get cranky, but I just cleaned them again and no improvement. Can you wear points out by cleaning them too much? I don't plan to spend a lot on this bike, since it is weathered and would take a lot to make it into a nice bike. Just like to have it for general fooling around.

Comment

Update

The beast runs again. The only problem is I am not exactly sure what I did to wake it up. I did clean the points, manually check the petcock to make sure it was geting gas. Cleaned all the connectors going to the coils and the run/stop switch and charge the battery till full. Didn't drive it yet, but heh I did something right.

One last question for now. Did the original valve cover gasket come with the strips that cross from one side of the head to the other? If not this bike has had the cover off at least once.

Comment

The original valve cover gasket would not have strips. Those strips are usally cut off after the gasket is replaced. Some one didn't take the time to snip them off.

Comment

One more question. Making progress.

Took the carbs off, found one float needle upsidedown. Carbs were pretty clean now they are even cleaner. New points and condensers. One last question. How long can the points mounting screw be? I had to replace one that the head was all stripped out. The new screw is 9.75mm long. Looks to be a few mm longer than the original. Is this going to be a problem? The bike now starts and idles, but I don't want to run it more till I know if this will cause a problem when the advancer opens up.

Comment

Working...
            X