horn button problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horn button problem

Yesterday while driving to work on my 80 850, I attempted to use my horn and nothing happen but the lights on the bike dimmed while I was pushing the button. Then on the way home I pushed the button and the horn worked. But then I tried it when I got home and it barely makes a sound and the headlight and running lights dim again while pushing the button. I cleaned the button with contact cleaner as well as wires on horns and then even took fuse box off and cleaned fuseholders and even changed fuses. But no change lights dim and still barely any sound from horns. I'm considering doing some rewiring horn directly from fusebox to button and directly to horns. Is there a problem with doing this? Or does anyone have an idea what else to check?

Use a relay. Trigger the relay with the button and run hot from either spare fuse slot or with an inline fuse from the battery. I had to do this because I have big mega horns, and they have to be getting at LEAST 12V to work, running through the whole loom it dropped too much voltage.

Comment

You can go straight to the horns. The button serves as a ground only. But your horn will work all the time if you do it this way.
      Be sure and put a fuse in-line, though. The relay is the best long-term solution.
      When you cleaned the button, did you take the switch apart at all? I had one such button where I had to completely disassemble it and sand the tip of the button in order to get it to work correctly. This was a starter button on a KZ, but they should be the same for a GS horn. If you do it, be sure and watch out for the tiny spring, it wants to fly away to the same place your spare sock goes when it leaves the dryer accidently.

Comment

horn

thanks guys, I planned to put in a relay and inline fuse (I have instructions off this site on how to do horn relay. I didn't take the button completely apart, I had to do a starter button complete tear down on my winter project and it was a major pain in the you know what. But will do if I have to. terrylee

Comment

Try fiddling with that adjustment screw on the horns.
          Check voltage at the horns before putting on a relay.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

horn

Is it a stock horn? Did you try the little adjusting screw on the horn. I'd look for a new horn before I installed the relay just to make sure. Also, it seems to me if the lights dim then the horn button is doing it's job of closing the circuit. There's a short, low voltage from a bad connector, or the horn is going bad.

Also, check to see if there are two horns connected. One may work, or there may be wires for the second horn but no horn to connect to. Many of these old GSs had two horns.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
              it seems to me if the lights dim then the horn button is doing it's job of closing the circuit.
              Correcto - mundo (sp?)

If you used all your contact cleaner on the switch and fuses go buy another can and douche the hell out of the horns. Inside outside and upside down. Your horns are froze up due to corrosion.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Wack the horn with a hammer & see if it works

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  Wack the horn with a hammer & see if it works
                  Heck, get a BFH and whack the crud out of the entire bike. Problem solved.
                  But seriously, check the voltage to the horns first. If you are getting ~12v key on, engine off, it is most likely the button. If you are getting less, such as the 9.84v that I see, put the fused line to the horns and check. If it works fine then, do the relay mod and you are done. If you still have problems, you need the relay mod PLUS you need to take the horn button apart and clean it with sand/emory paper. And if you need to borrow my BFH, lmk.

Comment

I replaced my stock horns with really loud fiam Blaster horns (available at most friendly chain Auto parts stores), they come with the relay, wire it in correctly (they have a schematic with them), I missed the correctly part the first time, had some wire confusion there, but when done correctly and someone wants to run you over, they will wake them up and make them realize you're occupying that spot (maybe).

Comment

Thanks once again for the quick responses! I will check the voltage at the horns and cleaned the horns with contact cleaner. I do have two horns and they are both hooked up and I did clean wires to them. Yes and they are stock horns. Will try the adjustment screws on them if cleaning doesn't help. If all else fails depending on the price the blaster horn sounds good, I love a loud horn! As far as BFH maybe on the horns never the bike I love it to much!

Comment

horn button

OK, rode the bike to work and horn work several times on way, but soon has I got to work stopped working and lights dim. So I'm beginning to wonder if it is not a charging problem, seemed like bike dragged alittle when tying to restart when got to work, so Sun. I'll get out the stator papers. terrylee
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2009, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X