Replacement Sight Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Sight Glass

Is there a way to replace the sight glass on the right hand crank case cover of a GS1000E without removing or replacing the case?
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

No .
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

It's pretty easy to replace the oil sight glass, but you have to take the cover off. Sorry.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Why do you want to replace it?
        Leaking?

Eric

Comment

Do you have a link for the part? I have the gasket for the crank case cover. I may not need to replace it if it is a solid glass, but it looks like a composite glass with dirty oil in between. Almost impossible to read.
          Last edited by OldVet66; 11-11-2009, 08:24 PM.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Sight glass

You need to get part #11971-45010 that is for the sight glass.
            1980 GS1000E

Comment

Hi,

The search feature is a wonderful thing.

On the four-cylinder models, the oil window is:

.LENS, OIL LEVEL CHECK
              11971-45010

Vendor links are in the "mega-welcome". Partshark, BikeBandit, etc.

I've added the part number for the oil sight glass to my website for easy reference. Thanks to Mr. bwringer for sharing his knowledge.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

There is supposed to be a Kawasaki part that fits the same, is easier to see the oil level, and is a lot cheaper than the Suzuki part. Sorry I don't know the part number or even which model it came from, but it was discussed on this forum a month or so ago, you can do a search.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks guys. I just got my warranty replacement tire back from Metzler (sidewalls cracking), put on my front end (new seals, Progressive springs), put on my rebuilt carbs , remounted plexifairing (polished out from minor dump, front brake locked on gravel) and was hoping for no more projects. Tried the Sea Foam, but it didn't work although everything else looks clean. It looks like a minor project, and I have the gasket for the case cover. I'll get some riding in before the next oil change when I will remove the cover and clean the glass. Thanks again.

Comment

Put in new clutch springs while you're in there... the whole project is very easy, though.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Good advice, thanks will, order them.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Put in new clutch springs while you're in there... the whole project is very easy, though.
                        Damn Bri beat me to it. Ok well I will add that it would also be a good time to inspect your clutch hub nut and polish the cover too Ive also heard tale of guys making new sightglasses out of lexan plexi and them working just fine.

Comment

Heck.....you may be able to take a Q-tip and clean it. I'd try that before throwing money at a new sightglass.
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                            Heck.....you may be able to take a Q-tip and clean it. I'd try that before throwing money at a new sightglass.
                            Yep, I replaced my plates as part of my rebuild and while the cover was off cleaned the glass with solvent and a q-tip. clear as can be now. I wish now I'd put HD springs in there while I had it off.

Comment

Careful with heavy clutch springs though. I replaced all the friction and all the springs in my 850 when I still had it and the clutch pull was really heavy. I ended up pulling it back apart and putting three of the old springs back in. It was lovely after that and is to this day.
                              That was about three years ago I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X