Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So close, but so far away.... fuel gauge problem!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So close, but so far away.... fuel gauge problem!!!

I have an 85 GS700ES that I just received a replacement tank for. I literally could have kissed the mailman. Now I am stuck. I can't get the fuel gauge out of the old tank. I have the cover unscrewed and I have the next two small screws undone that hold the gauge to the inside of the tank, but now what? It doesn't look like it can come out of that hole....grrrrr....

The cover comes off with 5 screws. That is for the electrical connection.
    The float assembly is held on with 2 screws and after that is undone it just takes a little wiggling to get the unit out. I just went out to check on my spare tank, took about 3 minutes total.

Comment

Thanks Gary...

I'll keep wiggling... I just spent a half an hour doing it, but I'll continue.... I'll get a nice fresh cup of coffee, clear my head and be persistent.... thanks for the advice, I just wanted to make certain I didn't need a special tool or anything like that....

Comment

It was a few years ago, but I had same feeling about my 850G tank and level sender when I was taking it apart because the kream coating was peeling off and clogging up the petcock screen. I think on mine the main body of the sender unit would fit thru opening after rotating it a certain way (dont know if thats same as your situation) but the float and the rod to the float didnt seem to want to fit thru easily. I think on mine looking thru the fill opening was of little help as the fill opening is on other side of the 'saddle'. Was no way for the rod and float to come out easly, the rod had to be flexed some but didnt get bent. If there was a better way, I couldnt not figure out what. Suzuki & Clymer manauls had no specific hint either. Maybe someone else on the site will have better idea. I did get it back together and all works since.

Here is what the Clymer manaul says for removing the sending unit "Remove the screws. Carfully remove the sending unit". Didnt find anything in Suzuki manaul.

Oh, previous two post came in while I was writting this.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I don't see why any model would be substantially different. My 1100G tank unit came out in just a minute after the screws were removed..but it did take some wiggling (and maybe a bit of GENTLE pressure)

Just be careful with the wiggling and it will come out.

If you are going to repaint the tank, cover the area with tape before painting, as you do not want any possibility of the paint preventing a perfect fuel seal.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

It's out!

After forty minutes of wiggling and a few swear words, the gauge is out! I guess I won't ever have to worry about that part falling out on its own. The word gentle pressure is correct! I really had to nudge that baby out. Thanks for the feedback guys, this group is a Godsend. I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
            X