Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible rod knock - any idea if it's worth fixing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know a GS can run that quietly.
    Go ride the snot out of it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      I didn't know a GS can run that quietly.
      Go ride the snot out of it.
      Yea I did not hear anything, nothing that would even sound like clutch rattle or even carbs out of sync

Comment

I heard it this morning when I first started on my way in to work but when I got to the office, I didn't hear it as much. I think I'm going to do the valves and see how it goes from there. I really like this bike and don't want to start hating it because it's got an issue.

Trust me, I do ride the snot out of it. I am thinking I want to get a windscreen for it next spring to make the blowback more manageable. I've been looking at a couple of the GIVI screens that are made for "naked" bikes. I'm coming up on about 3500 miles in the last 6 months. Pretty good considering I haven't done too much "touring" on it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Yea I did not hear anything, nothing that would even sound like clutch rattle or even carbs out of sync
          I was leaning toward carbs out of sync or the very beginnings of an exhaust gasket leak.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I was leaning toward carbs out of sync or the very beginnings of an exhaust gasket leak.

Id agree with that assesment. I know on the bigger bikes poorly synced carbs will sound hellacious at idle as the cylinder(s) load up in evenly and push back against the crank unevenly. Could give you that thud thud you're hearing tho I've never heard it on a mid displacement engine so I don't know how pronounced it would be.

Comment

New recordings after I got home from work. If you listen to the first one you can just hear the woodpecker sound. From teh recording I almost think it's valves but I just can't shake the rod knock idea.

Engine File 3

Engine File 4

Comment

Working...
              X