choke......why is it so crappy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke......why is it so crappy?

I have the style of choke that comes up through the steering stem and I want to change it to a newer style. Anybody know if a Bandit handlebar control will work. I like the little lever system they have. Or even a system from another year gs might work.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Not sure why say you it's crappy, you pull the knob, start the engine, push the knob back in. Is yours not staying up or is it too hard to pull?
    I'm sure anything could be adapted to work, it's a pretty simple cable system.

I prefer the early style with the lever on the side of the carbs, but that's just me.
    Last edited by tkent02; 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, the bike has a gsxr front end, Bandit swinger and wheel so I'm updating everything and don't like the old style choke. It works ok, I just don't like the way it looks. Suggestions are welcome.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

As tkent said, it's just a cable that actuates a lever, probably 100 ways you could rig one, don't see why one of the left hand control type wouldn't work.

Comment

Wouldn't it be dependent on how the cable hooks up at the carbs as to whether a Bandit setup would work?

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
            Wouldn't it be dependent on how the cable hooks up at the carbs as to whether a Bandit setup would work?
            Well, yeah.. what kind of carbs does it have on it? On the 34mm CV carbs there is a plate that is bolted to the carbs and the cable screws into that plate. I've never seen a bandit cable, so not sure what the carb end of it looks like.

Comment

Or conversely how it fixes at the lever end... you might be able to solder some kind of toggle to it that end if necessary.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Carbs are stock. Can someone who has a 1200 Bandit in the garage, have a look and see if the cable at the carbs, hooks up the same way a gs does.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

I prefer the early style with the lever on the side of the carbs, but that's just me.
                  Me too.
                  Is anything like this available for the GS?
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Just get a left hand control from a GS that has the choke lever on the bottom. A bunch of different GS models used them and the electrical connector will be a direct plug in.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Just get a left hand control from a GS that has the choke lever on the bottom. A bunch of different GS models used them and the electrical connector will be a direct plug in.

I think he's more concerned about the cable connection to the carbs.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Along with the new left handlebar controls (look for something '82 and newer), you will need the cable that goes down to the carbs, the "J" tube that guides the cable to the "choke" rod between carbs 3&4, a new "choke" rod, and the different attachment/lock mechanism to anchor the cable to the rod.

If you can't find or don't want to spend the bucks for a new left control, you can glue a piece of plastic on the bottom of your current housing that will keep the thumb lever housing from rotating. I have done this to adapt an '81 housing to an '82 bike, to be able to have an operable headlight switch.

Last edited by Steve; 11-12-2009, 07:42 PM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My XS400 has CV Mikuni carbs and the choke actuator is right on the side. It just slides out and then back. Simple and easy to adapt.
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                          X