No announcement yet.

New Start / Horn Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there's nothing under the horn button other than the spring?

I think I have all the parts! Now for some dielectric grease and lots of time too fart with it...maybe at Thanksgiving. I'll take lots of pictures.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Trumpetguy,

There is a little copper disc, which sits on top of the horn button spring. It completes the circuit, from the spring to the curcit board.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        Trumpetguy,

There is a little copper disc, which sits on top of the horn button spring. It completes the circuit, from the spring to the curcit board.

cg
        Does the disc have a hole in it to fit the small peg in the bottom of the button? Or does anyone have a picture or measurements of it? I need to find a replacement to work with the replacement button dpage made.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2009, 12:43 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

It's been about three weeks since I had mine apart, combined with poor memory..........There wasn't a hole in the disc. I don't remember a peg in the button, it would make sense that there might be one. It would keep the disc oreinted properly. The copper/plated disc had a dimple in it. I'm sure the pointed side went down, toward the spring, to make contact with the circuit board. I wouldn't be hard to make. I have a "whitney punch"( like a hand held paper punch for metal), for making small holes in sheetmetal. It leaves a dimple in the waste for the hole, which would probally work. I didn't measure the disc, but I will be taking mine apart again soon to install the ball bearing and spring, which decided to explode into nowhere. If your not in a hurry, I'll measure mine when I take it apart and punch one from some scrap copper I have and mail it to you. On the other hand, if you knew the size, and there was a sheetmetal shop around you which worked in copper, they might make one for you. In a pinch, tin snips, a hammer and a nail set would work. I'd choose the hammer method! I am a carpenter, afterall. Give me a PM if you need a hand.

Charlie G.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie,
            A measurement would be great -- I could make one or find a substitute somehow. I am in no hurry as I bought a spare switch so I'm riding the bike.

I just want to be able to contribute a little -- I'd like to do a write-up with pics on replacing the horn button. Now that dpage is making replacements, we don't need to discard switches just because the horn button failed.

Thanks to everyone for the help on this little project!

Comment

I did make a little tool to aid reassebling the switch. I had trouble keeping the button, spring and disc in place when I installed over the rest of the switch. I'll try to remember to take some pictures next time and share.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

Bumping this thread with the hope someone can tell me how to get the top hat (thumb button) off so the guts can be extracted from the switch enclosure? I broke the button today trying to take the switch apart but this thread give me hope it can be fixed (anyone have any spare parts?).
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                X