Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken cooling fin

Hello all,

I'm still working on getting all the parts to my 550/650 project together, but have run into a problem. One of the cooling fins on the bottom of my cylinder head, close to where the head gasket mates up to the jug, has broken. Its not a large piece, but was wondering if any attempt should be made to weld it back.

Thanks,
    William

If it is not broken through the head I see too many bad things that can happen welding that close to a mating surface and for what benefit?
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
      If it is not broken through the head I see too many bad things that can happen welding that close to a mating surface and for what benefit?
      Pretty much, I thing you'd want to know a guy who was an artist with a TIG welder even if you did consider it.

Comment

it wont hurt at all. just dress it up with a dremmel type grinder. if you are a perfectionist you could always grind off the same fin on the other side to match
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If you want it to look original make a fin out of JB weld. It won't do much for cooling but it will look nice. One fin missing won't do squat temperature wise.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by msdosp1mp View Post
            Hello all,

I'm still working on getting all the parts to my 550/650 project together, but have run into a problem. One of the cooling fins on the bottom of my cylinder head, close to where the head gasket mates up to the jug, has broken. Its not a large piece, but was wondering if any attempt should be made to weld it back.

Thanks,
            William
            Welding it is just to tough. There is an aluminum brazing rod that you can buy that is great to fix these. All you need is to super clean the aluminum and then you need a propane torch.

Comment

Working...
            X