Handlebars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebars...

I took a road trip to see my father one weekend this summer. It was almost six hours on the freeway. After about two hours riding my neck muscles started hurting, then throbbing, then screaming or was that me?! Anyway... Has someone else had this problem? My bike has what I believe to be the stock superbike bent bar on it. Would changing it to something else alleviate this issue? Cause I would really love to do more trips like that in the future. Just, not in that kind of pain. No fun. I didn't have that problem with my Yamaha FZ700. I could ride for hours and hours without a hitch with that bike. I really wish that I hadn't sold that one.

thank you in advance, Ron

Which is it, stock bars or superbikes?
    Huge difference in riding posture.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I thought the stock bars on this bike were superbike bars given the racing history of this model. It has superbike stamped on the end. To answer your question. This bars bend seems tame to me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Quandryron View Post
        I thought the stock bars on this bike were superbike bars given the racing history of this model. It has superbike stamped on the end. To answer your question. This bars bend seems tame to me though.
        Tame, 2"? 7"? 9 or 10"

Comment

hit some bars

Comment

Are you asking for the rise on the bar? 2" is about right. Just measured it. The riding position seems tame to me. My previous was a fully faired crotch rocket and it had a more aggressive riding position than this one. I rode it all day without a hitch.

Comment

Yeah Ramrod, that would definitely dull the pain!

Comment

Are you asking for the rise on the bar? 2" is about right. Just measured it. The riding position seems tame to me. My previous was a fully faired crotch rocket and it had a more aggressive riding position than this one. I rode it all day without a hitch.
                Well, there you go.
                Just find a fully faired crotch rocket and you'll be set.

Comment

Need a hug Tkent? You seem perturbed.

Comment

Need a hug Tkent? You seem perturbed.
                    Another clairvoyant.

Comment

I've got some L bars that will sit you up more.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Are you talking risers? I'm curious as to why a more sedate riding position would cause such discomfort. I have a friend here offering me some very tall bars to use. I'm not sure what size. I haven't seen them yet. It's a puzzle to me.

Comment

Not risers. Just stock bars. I have an 80 GS750E and some other that looks like an L model.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

It could be that your current arrangement of bar height, seat height/position, foot peg position, etc, is putting the right pressure in all the wrong places. The stock bars on my bike allow me a more upright seating position with the pegs right under me. The only thing that forces me off the bike is stopping for gas. Lower bars can get uncomfortable for me after an hour but is relieved somewhat by using the passenger pegs and/or changing my seating position. It's all about ergonomics. Change your bars, change your pegs, whatever it takes to get comfortable. Don't ride hurt.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You might consider with your bike on the centerstand get on it. Reach out for the bars and relax your arms at or near the grips and determine what angle or position change is needed to get your wrists and shoulders comfortable.

The proper bars for you will be the ones that do not change your wrist or elbow angles when on the grips.

And as Bass mentioned the foot pegs. A set of rear sets will give you a better balance against the wind load while riding taking strain off your arms.
                              For me the original peg location cramps me up.

Comment

Working...
                              X