Needle and Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle and Seats

Hello everyone. I know you guys are against the aftermarket carb rebuild kits but are very big fans of Z1. I need to get new needle and seats for three of my carbs (already replaced one). Instead of spending $26 per set at parts shark, I found this at Z1:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Would you guys recomend getting the kit just for the gaskets and needle and seat or should I just suck it up and go OEM? Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Mr Toga View Post
    Hello everyone. I know you guys are against the aftermarket carb rebuild kits but are very big fans of Z1. I need to get new needle and seats for three of my carbs (already replaced one). Instead of spending $26 per set at parts shark, I found this at Z1:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Would you guys recomend getting the kit just for the gaskets and needle and seat or should I just suck it up and go OEM? Thanks guys.
    What are you tying to do?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I butchered my Needle and Seats while trying to remove them for cleaning. I was wondering if this cheaper option would be okay to use. I know everyone says to stay away from the aftermarket kits, but idk for what reason.

Comment

Those kits are reasonable but I'd reuse your stock jets if they are in good shape. Also, I think they sell needles and seats seperate so you might consider that. The application list may be different from your bike so do some research to see if they would interchange.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Toga View Post
          I butchered my Needle and Seats while trying to remove them for cleaning. I was wondering if this cheaper option would be okay to use. I know everyone says to stay away from the aftermarket kits, but idk for what reason.
          Cause the jets suck.
          If you have to have new jets buy mikuni.
          I would imagine the same would hold true for the needles.

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

If all you need is the needles and seats, consider Parts-n-More. They are $8 per set and P-n-M has a $35 minimum, so you would only have to find one more item to meet that. How are the rubber plugs that cover the pilot jets? $6 for a set. Add that to your needles and seats, toss in the shipping charges and you have your problems fixed for half the price of those "complete" kits.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure you re-set the float heights afterwards -- they will change slightly with new needles and seats.

Also, make sure you get high-quality needles. There's a spring-loaded nubbin inside the needles that must be strong enough to hold the float up while you're setting float height. Many shonky imitations have very weak springs, so they are completely unusable.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X