No announcement yet.

Higher RPM problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, sorry, I'm still new to this and only know a little about engines. Really only the basics. Tomorrow if I have time I'll try and pull the cover off and look at the points. Now you were saying it was the cover on the right side of the engine? The one that says DOHC on it right?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
      No, in neutral it has the same issue. I've cleaned the airbox and filter as well.
      Allright. (Yawn)
      Still could be fuel related. The load/no load rev check will often show classic fuel starvation but you can still starve for fuel with no load.
      But, the ignition timing/points is a basic maintenance item anyway and should be checked. Also, it's quicker and easier to do than a carb cleaning.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Something else I noticed today was on the right side if the engine there is a cap for something right by where is says DOHC and down where the clear hole is that says f F and L it has no fluid in it whatsoever. would that cause problems? And what is that fluid?

Comment

Okay, sorry, I'm still new to this and only know a little about engines. Really only the basics. Tomorrow if I have time I'll try and pull the cover off and look at the points. Now you were saying it was the cover on the right side of the engine? The one that says DOHC on it right?
          Yes. Right side as you describe. Let us know what you got or show a pic if you like.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Okay, I'll Get on That tomorrow

Comment

Something else I noticed today was on the right side if the engine there is a cap for something right by where is says DOHC and down where the clear hole is that says f F and L it has no fluid in it whatsoever. would that cause problems? And what is that fluid?
              Oil ?
              Oh, oh.
              Is it too low to see or is it so high you can't see the top of it?
              Last edited by tkent02; 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Okay, let's fix this first. The little clear window with F and L on it is the oil level window, it's on the clutch cover. It will indicate if you're low on oil. This must be checked with the bike on the centerstand or at least while someone is holding the bike upright. NOT on the sidestand.

Could you post some pictures of your difficulties ? It would help alot, especially the ignition setup.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

It's so low that there is nothing there. It is on the center stand and I even had someone rocking the bike to see if I could see some oil but there was no movement at all.

Comment

Okay........put some oil in there until it's somewhere between the F and L. Just fill it in small amounts until you reach the desired level. After putting a little in, let it settle for minute, overfilling is bad too.

Now, when you had the carbs apart did you check to make sure the correct jets were in there ?
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      Now, when you had the carbs apart did you check to make sure the correct jets were in there ?
                      I never took the carbs apart. I'm too afraid to try and do that

Comment

AWwwww....c'mon, it ain't that bad. Check out Cliff's site and study up in your carbs. You've been to Cliff's site, right ?

To be honest, cleaning the carbs MUST be done. It's a time consuming process that requires being organized. After the first one, the rest are a snap. Your high rpm problem could lie within those nasty, dirty carbs.

The point being, without the carbs cleaned, valves adjusted and no air leaks anywhere, you really don't know what the problem is. A solid baseline must be established before any real trouble shooting can begin.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Okay, so I took a look at the ignition and this is what it looks like. It says DYNAS IGNITION on it.

Comment

Okay, so I took a look at the ignition and this is what it looks like. It says DYNAS IGNITION on it.

This is good. It does NOT have points on it. Some previous owner (hereafter referred to as a PO) bought a kit to convert it to an electronic ignition.

Keep an eye on that oil level. It's standard procedure EVERY TIME for me when I haven't ridden that day to take a look at that window.

As for the carbs. Find a workspace. Where you can leave stuff for a few days if needed, and clean. If you don't have a garage, the kitchen table, something. Get something like egg cartons, or zip lock bags and a sharpie. Download the guide to work on them. As you take them apart, take digital camera, a cell phone will do, and take a picture of everything as you take it apart (guide should be enough, but we are being extra cautious). Put eveything into containers where you can't lose it and label it, keeping each carb separate. GO SLOW, don't force anything... when you get frustrated take deep breathes and walk away, if you can't figure something out, take a picture and post it here, we'll do our best to help.

Comment

First do yourself a favor and add some diesel oil to her... rotella 15-40, motorcraft 15-40 one of those two will do you just fine. Go to your local Walmart and buy a 5 quart jug...much cheaper that way.

Run genuine GS filters from Suzi, much better than the Fram.

Here is what I would do after you do the above. Go out warm the bike up; make a pass on a safe road and see if it still breaks up over 4G.

Now, pull your air filter out of the air filter housing. Go make another pass.

1) Does it run worse...if so you are running lean.

2) Does it run better...if so you are running to rich.

I chased what I thought to be an ignition problem on my 1100L for three weeks until I finally did what I have asked of you above. Turns out I had her tuned a bit rich and anything over 6G under power she would pop and sputter like an ignition problem. I pulled the air filter out and had the tire come off of the ground during the first three shifts under WOT and 9500 shift points...bike screamed and came alive.

Do you have a paper filter or a K&N filter?

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                                Do you have a paper filter or a K&N filter?
                                It has neither. It has a foam filter...

Comment

Working...
                                X