Higher RPM problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher RPM problems.

Hey guys, so the problem I'm having with my bike is something in the higher RPM's. I can start my bike up no problem and run it at idle and up to about 4 grand and have no issues at all. Yet when ever I go into my higher RPM's it will choke out and die if I go fast into it or it will start to pop and sound like it's back firing if I just roll into it. Also Yesterday while I was running it I heard like a belt sound or something?

I've cleaned the tank, cleaned the Petcock, and checked all my gaskets. Whats the issue?

Is it stock?
    I'd check the points if you are still running them.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
      Hey guys, so the problem I'm having with my bike is something in the higher RPM's. I can start my bike up no problem and run it at idle and up to about 4 grand and have no issues at all. Yet when ever I go into my higher RPM's it will choke out and die if I go fast into it or it will start to pop and sound like it's back firing if I just roll into it. Also Yesterday while I was running it I heard like a belt sound or something?

I've cleaned the tank, cleaned the Petcock, and checked all my gaskets. Whats the issue?
      Carburetors.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes it's stock. What points? And what in the carbs do I need to look at?

Comment

Yes it's stock. What points? And what in the carbs do I need to look at?
          If it's never been modified to an electronic ignition then it has "points" under the small round cover on the right side (sitting on the bike). They have to be gapped correctly, and replaced periodically.

TON of things could be wrong on the fuel side, clogged carb passages from sitting and not running (even for just a month or two), petcock going bad, clogged filter on the petcock, kink in the fuel line, fuel line running "uphill".

It's going to have to be a process of elimination. If you've never serviced your points (78's predate electronic ignition on these bikes), that might not be a bad place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
            TON of things could be wrong on the fuel side, clogged carb passages from sitting and not running (even for just a month or two), petcock going bad, clogged filter on the petcock, kink in the fuel line, fuel line running "uphill".

It's going to have to be a process of elimination. If you've never serviced your points (78's predate electronic ignition on these bikes), that might not be a bad place to start.
            I agree I think its points. In my personal experience, the "normal" carb problem, for me any way, is clogged pilot circuits, which works the opposite way: Nothing at low rpm and will run at high throttle openings. I have had points wear until they don't open for a long enough time (dwell) to make a good spark. It shows up way more at high RPM/high load. I have had condensers act that way too.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

It has electronic ignition and a Kicker, so would points still be a problem?

Comment

It has electronic ignition and a Kicker, so would points still be a problem?
                That means you don't have a stock ign, which is fine.. I would just check and make sure the timing advance is working properly

Comment

How do you know it has an electronic ignition?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Because it has an electronic starter. Unless I'm completly confused and wrong wouldn't an electric start mean an electronic ignition?

How do I check the timing advance?

Comment

Sounds like fuel starvation to me.
                      Poor air flow through the filter will also cause a sudden lack of power but your description sounds like lack of fuel.
                      I'm guessing it will rev well above 4K as long as it's in neutral but once in gear and under load, it dies/hesitates.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If you take off the round cover at the right front of engine and it looks something like this you have points

Comment

Because it has an electronic starter. Unless I'm completly confused and wrong wouldn't an electric start mean an electronic ignition?

How do I check the timing advance?
                          I made my previous reply and then noticed this post.
                          You made it sound like the points were replaced by a newer ignition but that may not be the case. Electic start has nothing to do with the ignition.
                          I still think it's fuel starvation. Your bike reaches full advance timing by 2,000 rpm's so I doubt your problem is advance timing related because you say the problem starts at 4,000 rpm's. Points however, need attention on a regular basis if you ride often. They get dirty and pitted. They loose their gap.
                          Take off your points cover and show us a pic or describe what you see. Sometimes the mechanical advance can get sticky/rusty and a shot of cleaner and lube will get it moving smoothly.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

No, in neutral it has the same issue. I've cleaned the airbox and filter as well.

Comment

Hey chef. How you doing tonight? I gotta get my butt to bed so I'll leave this guy in your capable hands. 'night.

Comment

Working...
                              X