Valve spring removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
    It's easier to remove them with something like a spark plug socket and a small hammer. A quick wrap usually dislodges the valve keepers. You would need the C clamp for the reinstall...
    But don't forget the 1/2 tennis ball in the combustion chamber. Stops the valve from depressing when the BIG WHACK from the hammer comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      So, just take a socket, place it over the spring, wack it with a hammer to release the keepers and the whole she-bang should just come out.......makes sense. I guess the keepers are contained in the spring.

The way I am with tools, I think this is much safer for me. I'd have parts flying everywhere.
      When you hit the spark plug socket with the hammer the collets stay inside the spark plug socket, nothing goes flying anywhere. Job usually takes about 10 minutes for all valves (8 valve head).

Comment

Great write up Larry!

I've never cut a socket before-aren't they hardend? What did you use?

Comment

Thanks to this post I made one with old c-clamp.I have a lot of old cheap spark plug sockets that I used and a die grinder to cut them with.there some other way to do it but it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by oshanac View Post
            Great write up Larry!

I've never cut a socket before-aren't they hardend? What did you use?
            Larry's using the tool I made -- I used a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut the windows in the sockets and deburr the edges so nothing gets scratched. Also, you can use really cheap sockets...

On 8 valve engines, I wrap the socket in duct tape to protect the lifter bores. This is not needed on the 16V engines.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X