Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - aluminum, stuck to steel, how to seperate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - aluminum, stuck to steel, how to seperate?

Hi, I've been trying to remove this exhaust bracket for a few weeks now. It is stuck to the bolt on the left side of the picture. You can see the screwdriver on the right side where I have been trying to pry at it a bit.

The other 2 brackets fell off as they should (It's on a Kawi triple)

So far I've tried:
    gentle banging with a hammer and a brass punch from every angle
    hard banging from a hammer from the same angles.
    at least 30 applications of penetrating oil (over a month)
    torching the bracket 5 or 10 times
    Lots of prying and tapping
    cussin at it

The last thing I can think of is cutting the bracket off. I don't want it to come to that.

help

Muratic acid..?

Comment

Double or triple up some nuts on the stud and try to remove it. The turning action will break it free.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by kinnet View Post
        Muratic acid..?
        Jeffery Dahmer may have some left over.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Something in the holes, like a ridge, is sticking it to the threads

Put nuts on each stud, tighten, then slowly loosed each about a turn, then repeat

OR, put a nut on the stud and use a small 2 jaw puller
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

had a dodge van one of the back wheels was stuck, with all lug nuts off I drove it around the block a few time just to show friends how bad it was they too said to do the acid trick,and it work along with big hammer and torch

Comment

Doubling the nuts is a good idea if you have room, but there might not be enough stud showing.

Try prying on both sides at the same time, then beat the collar back down and try prying again. Repeat as necessary.

Comment

That's the clamp holding the exhaust to the cylinder. Try loosening the exhaust at the other end and move the pipe around - this may break the bond between clamp and whatever is holding it. It may actually be free on the studs but bonded to the pipe flange.
                If all else fails, yes, stud removal will get it off - there should be enough stud showing to double nut them as has been suggested.

Greg T

Comment

Originally posted by kinnet View Post
                  Muratic acid..?
                  Probably what is happening is that the aluminum is corroding electrolytically instead of the steel bolts that it is touching. Muriatic acid (industrial grade HCl) is only likely to make the problem worse.

To remove corrosion on steel, use phosphoric acid. heat and motion are more likely to get if off. Others have given good suggestions.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Heat the ally bracket with a blow lamp while trying not to get too much heat into the studs, then jiggle it untill it comes free

Comment

Did you get it loose yet? It sounds like you've tried all the normal techniques. It sounds like the bracket is bonded to the studs. I would use a dremel cutoff to cut the studs behind the bracket, trying to leave enough stud to grip for replacement. This way you would save the original bracket.

Originally posted by ramrod400 View Post
                      had a dodge van one of the back wheels was stuck, with all lug nuts off I drove it around the block a few time just to show friends how bad it was they too said to do the acid trick,and it work along with big hammer and torch
                      lol, I think I would have left the nuts partially on, just in case....

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                        Did you get it loose yet? It sounds like you've tried all the normal techniques. It sounds like the bracket is bonded to the studs. I would use a dremel cutoff to cut the studs behind the bracket, trying to leave enough stud to grip for replacement. This way you would save the original bracket.

lol, I think I would have left the nuts partially on, just in case....
                        OK my solution is to dremel the bracket (collars) along the bolt at opposite sides. You can then get access to the corroded bolt really douse it with PB blaster of the like and probably use a screw driver to prise it open a little an break the bond between bolt and collar. The collar will still be functional; maybe add a washer is all.

Comment

haven't gotten to it yet, school taking me over (and the rain doesn't actually inspire me to get on it). Final exam tomorrow, so priorities change tomorrow afternoon.
                          Going to try the double nut thing and pull the stud right out. Will photograph the process and update in the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                            Heat the ally bracket with a blow lamp while trying not to get too much heat into the studs, then jiggle it untill it comes free
                            Tried it X 10. no luck.

Comment

Ammonia is the stuff to break down aluminum corrosion. Please, please, please, keep the muratic acid away from your bike other than inside the battery maybe.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X