Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - aluminum, stuck to steel, how to seperate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jagir - Heat is good but a little tricky. As said earlier, you need to try to heat only the part you want to expand (due to the heat), but when things are this "friendly" (ie fused together), not gonna work too well.

I like the double nut and/or puller idea. Pullers are awesome things (you can get a decent one for about 20$ that should work). Don't forget the power of vibration (ie bang on it like a cowbell...ever see your mom tap around a jar lid lightly and repeatedly to loosen/get it open? It works I tell ya). Penetrating oil/PB Blaster works too but needs a way in there to work between frozen parts....hence tapping helps here too. Double nuts with no thread showing has added bonus of allowing you to tap/bang on the nut w/o destroying threads.

Acid is evil stuff in general and will make things worse if you don't know what you're doing. Don't do it.

Summary: PBBlaster/vibration/puller.

Don't forget to add love, beer, and plenty of cursing....let us know

Comment

Some of these exhaust collars were made of steel. Did you try a magnet on it?

Comment

My preferred method

I have had to deal with stuck stuff now and then, and I find the best way to deal with it is with a mig welder. Hear me out now, if you can access the end of the bolt enough to get a couple nuts on it, then this should work for you.

Start off by wire brushing the area to clean any debris from the area, then douse the area with PBlaster/oil/penetrating fluid of your choice.
        Double nut the bolt so the last nut is flush with the end of the stud, making sure the nuts align themselves so a socket will fit right over them, weld the last nut onto the stud. Make sure you get a good amount of heat onto it, and keep someone handy with your preferred fire extinguishing device since the PBlaster/oil/penetrating fluid will burn. This method mainly heats the stuck stud, and only other parts by contact with the stud.

Once done welding, immediately put a socket over the end and give it a good, sharp hit with a good sized hammer. Remember to hit it squarely on the top of the socket/extension so the force is translated directly down the length of the stuck stud. Spray down with PBlaster/oil/penetrating fluid and hit it a couple more times.

Grab your johnson bar (or slip a short length of pipe over the end of a ratchet if you must) and tighten the stud in an eighth of a turn, and then twist the wee bast@rd out.

Hope this helps,

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
          Tried it X 10. no luck.
          Try harder nobody said it was easy

Comment

you have access to to air hammer? if you do try a blunt bit with the air hammer, that should vibrate the hell out of it. Heat and penatrating oil are your friends too.
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Alright,

I just tried the double nut deal. Had to go out and get some narrower wrenches to reach in there.

Comment

the outer nut was torn a new a-hole! It was pushed off the post!

I was being gentle and easy and all that. i even tried pulling out some other ones to see how hard it should feel (and to get better access). That thing is stuck!
                Gotta drop it for the moment - more suggestions please.

(no access to a welder)
                (don't like acid around - have a kid in the house)

I've tapped it alot over the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                  Some of these exhaust collars were made of steel. Did you try a magnet on it?
                  Just did it. It's aluminum, but thanks for thinking outside the box.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

time is on my side with this one so any and all suggestions are welcome. The rest of the bike is still getting love in many ways - degreasing and cleaning mostly. Found some sweet nests behind the front sprocket.

I just stuck the front wheel back on and spun the bike 180 to get a different angle and perspective on it.

Comment

get forceful, take a 2lb mallot and a punch or socket extention and really wack the collar a bit, try to get it to move some. You can always get a new collar if you mess this one up.
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x

Comment

S u c c e s s !

I whacked it like crazy with a long brass 'punch' with a hole in it. Here's what it looked like in there.

Comment

here's what damage was done.
                          Notice the 2 cracks.
                          Its still totally usable.

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

Comment

Congrads
                            I love a happy ending
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Way to go. Isn't it great when whacking the everlivingshiite out of something actually fixes it?

Comment

now get some kerosene and toothbrushes and clean the hell out of that motor. Use the kerosene to cut and break down the grime, then spray it with some super purple to remove the kerosene and hose off.
                                82 Kat 1000 Project
                                05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
                                X