Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch hub?

What's up Gang?

I have a 83 gs1100e. I put a new clutch in today. When the bike is in nuetral it moves back and forward, but when I put in first it will not go even though I sqeeze the clutch lever in. I'm wondering if I tightened the hub to tight. My question is if I tightened the hub to tight would that cause the bike not to move in first gear or any gear even though you squeeze the clutch lever? I hope that I explained so that you guys can understand.

Thanks,
    Supavert

Did you adjust the clutch cable free play?

Comment

did you have to go into that far to change clutch
      Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2009, 09:44 PM.

Comment

On the 83s there is a small washer that goes against the bearings before the large washer with the oil tunnel in it. To check this does the inner clutch hub move at all when in neutral? It should move freely.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I replaced the clutch plates recently and have similar issue.

I think it may be some grove mark make on the clutch hub slot by the frication plate and the new clutch plates thickness is not same as the old one.
          So that the new plates can not seat properly and evenly on the groves, and result it can not move in and out freely even you pull the clutch lever all the way. Finally, I need to adjust the clutch cable without the 3mm free play and even with some tension.
          On the other hand, it dose not have enough pressure on the clutch plates together and caused slip.

Therefore, they always said it should use the same clutch plates from Suzuki to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Addy Leung View Post
            I replaced the clutch plates recently and have similar issue.

I think it may be some grove mark make on the clutch hub slot by the frication plate and the new clutch plates thickness is not same as the old one.
            So that the new plates can not seat properly and evenly on the groves, and result it can not move in and out freely even you pull the clutch lever all the way. Finally, I need to adjust the clutch cable without the 3mm free play and even with some tension.
            On the other hand, it dose not have enough pressure on the clutch plates together and caused slip.

Therefore, they always said it should use the same clutch plates from Suzuki to solve the problem.

????????????

OK, I re read it a couple times. I think what hes saying is valid. If your Basket or Hub has check marks or grooves worn in them, from the old clutch pack, the new pack may get hung up on them. Mine did so I filed out the grooves.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 11-18-2009, 05:58 PM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

What's up guys?

I fixed the problem!! The problem was that I tightened the clutch hud nut to tight with my air gun and it caused the trans not to move in any gear accept nuetral. So if anyone out there thats changing your own clutch for the first time "Please do not tighten the hub nut to tight".

I took her out for a spin and like usual she pulls like a mad train!!

So thanks for all you guys help!

Peace!
              Supavert

Comment

You bound the bearings. This should not happen with 200# on there. Are you sure you didn't install the spacers incorrectly?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  You bound the bearings. This should not happen with 200# on there. Are you sure you didn't install the spacers incorrectly?
                  what he said!

Comment

Are you saying 200 ft pounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Supavert View Post
                      Are you saying 200 ft pounds?
                      I was just trying to make a point that you could but alot of tourque on those nuts and that shouldn't bind the clutch if everything is installed properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X