Gs650g empty carb bowls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650g empty carb bowls?

I have a 1982 650g which I aquired last sumer. I rebuilt the carbs,o-rings adjusted the valves and it runs pretty good now. I broke a clutch cable 3-4 weeks back and the bike has been sitting for that amount of time, while I wait for a new cable. I tried to start the bike last week ( missed the voice of the old girl) and it didn't want to start. Tried quite awhile and gave up and went back into the house. After twenty minutes of pondering and grumbling over the bike not starting I go back out into the garage and turn the petcock to prime and wait a minute or so and turn it to back to the on position. It started up. Day before yesterday I tried again to start it. Same senerio. No start without priming first.

Last winter I made it a point to start and run my bike for 5-10 minutes every week or two with the intent to keep oil throughout the engine and gas flowing through the carbs.(Is this a bad idea?) When I started the GS450 the above problem never happened. It always started right up.

I'm thinking the gas in the carb bowls are evaporating to some extent and there isn't fuel to start the bike, without placing the petcock on prime to refill. What do the "greater minds" thinks? Thanks for your help.

Charlie G.

"Clutchless in the State of J"
    Last edited by Charlie G; 11-19-2009, 01:12 AM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Personally, I don't understand why the fuel evaporates so quickly, it might be the ethanol content in there, but yes, it does happen.

Also, the best thing to do for your bike in the winter is change the oil, stabilize the gas, fill the tank, connect a battery tender and LET IT SIT.
    Starting, especially for only 5-10 minutes at a time is very hard on the oil and the exhaust. LOTS of condensation building up with the temperature changes and it just doesn't get hot enough to "burn" it off.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      I have a 1982 650g ...
      I'm thinking the gas in the carb bowls are evaporating to some extent and there isn't fuel to start the bike, without placing the petcock on prime to refill. What do the "greater minds" thinks? Thanks for your help.
      ..."
      Yes.

And dont forget to put back to ON, dont not leave on PRIme.
      I make my self stand there and hold the lever all the time in PRIme, put back to ON before step away.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I put some Seafoam in the bikes a few weeks ago and filled them up. I guess I'll keep my hands off them unless I'm riding them. I did notice water leaking at the joint in the header of my 450e last winter after running it. I figured it was condensation. Thanks guys!....................I darn near keep my hand on the valve till I switch it back to prime!

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I have a similar problem on my GS650g also.

The bike always seems to kick up the first try, but quickly stalls out.
          Then the Starter button doesn't work for a few minutes.

Then the button works again, and now I have to keep firing up the bike over and over again, but STILL doesn't hold fire.

Then i just let the bike sit for 10 minutes, come back, fires RIGHT UP like nothing just happened 10 minutes before......

Comment

Working...
          X