Motor Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Swap

Quick question for those that know more then me. I'm going to pick up a GS550E i won on craiglist on Saturday. I wanted to know if it's possible and how much trouble it would be to swap the motor out to a 750 in the 550 frame? Thanks for the help!!!

Tony
    Lexington, SC

Not sure it will fit without major mods. What do you have planed for the scoot?

Comment

First off, I have no idea whether a gs 750 will fit in a gs 550 frame but from an old thread, a gsxr 750 motor was fit into a gs550 frame. Here is the link:

Brought back some old thoughts, how about a gsx750R in a 550L chassis? L owners take heart, just kidding.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2009, 11:44 AM. Reason: Forgot the welcome

Comment

I plan on doing a bobber or chopper project to it. I just wasn't sure if I was going to be happy with the power a 550 will put out. Anyone with a 550 care to comment on what the power is like. I want to be able to get on the interstate once in awhile and do 80mph or so. Will a 550 do that? thanks.

Comment

Also, there is a local moto salvage place where I live and the guy said he does have a gsx600...I imagine that would fit ok but would it be that much more power?

Comment

Originally posted by aferaci View Post
            Also, there is a local moto salvage place where I live and the guy said he does have a gsx600...I imagine that would fit ok but would it be that much more power?
            A lot more power, at a lot higher RPM. Neither one will do squat at 3 - 4,000 RPM.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by aferaci View Post
              I wanted to know if it's possible and how much trouble it would be to swap the motor out to a 750 in the 550 frame?
              How good are your fabbing skills?

This is not exactly "a 550 frame", but it is a 750 engine.

VIDEO

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X