Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything but clutch slipping= High RPMs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything but clutch slipping= High RPMs??

Bike is a 1982 850G

I have added new clutch fibers, and also shimmed my clutch springs- each seemed to help my subjective feel of aceleration due to throttle opening, but only for a ride or two...

Seems like I go back to square one after a few dozen miles on the road. Have been getting good milage overall- about 45mpg, but I'd still swear not all my engine's power is geting trasnsferred to the rear wheel.

I know the tach may not be the most accurate measurement after 21 years or so, but when I initially put the extra washers behind the clutch springs, the clutch did feel grippier, if that makes sense...

It seems as if I lost some of that extra boost I noticed after shimming the springs

I'm trying to think of what could be leading to this feeling. I do have close to zero experience on other bikes (about 2500 miles on the GS since last Aug) so I'm not sure what it should feel like.

Is it possible that poor compression could lead to a higher than normal RPM reading at a certain speed? Seems to be RPMx1000 in 5th which doesnt jive with other people's readings (eg 70mph=7000rpm).

My other thoughts are poor metal 'driven plates' which i scrubbed, but didnt replace with my fiber plates, and the possibility that gas may be leaking into my crankcase, causing slippage....

My apologies for the rambling nature of this post, but I would appreciate any insight.

What I'd really like is someone familiar with the feel of a GS850 in the Philly area to take a quick jaunt and see if im off base, or if I ought to have a little more pull...

Muchas Gracias
    Chris

in theory the only things that can alter speed to revs are slippage, clutch or wheelspin as to yours reving hard gearing ie sprockets non standard # of teeth will give you a different revs to speed than a standard bike
    ozman

Comment

What kind of oil are you running? Bill

Comment

Gas in the crankcase oil will ruin a set of fiber clutch disks. A lot of gas will ruin the disks in no time flat and they will slip under light/moderate throttle.
        Consistant gas seepage will cause the clutch to slip over a period of time.
        I found that once gas had soaked the clutch lining, no amount of oil changes or road miles would solve the slippage problem even though the clutch lining still appeared nearly new and the petcock was replaced eliminating the gas seepage problem.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X