Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking comprehensive list of inspection/parts/procedures for rebuilding brake system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking comprehensive list of inspection/parts/procedures for rebuilding brake system

Disclaimer: Noob here - I'm not so adept at moving around/finding the info that I am seeking - but this is an AWESOME resource for GS owners.

I'm looking to rebuild the brake system on my '80 GS 1000G (45 K miles - lots of no-ride time by previous owner).
    They were fine this past summer, but now bike is down for winter/comprehensive going over/maintenance.

I have new SS lines/banjos and crush washers, but upon closer inspection of components I think I might as well just "do it all". (fluid f and r is cruddy, and I'm assuming that the calipers could benefit from a rebuild - MC is aftermarket w/aluminum body and no sight window).

Please suggest or provide either:
    A comprehensive list of things to inspect/overhaul and how to recondition them OR suggest links in GSR that I have missed.

AGAIN - I'm sorry if I have missed obvious posts (content in many posts is difficult to determine by Title) and appreciate any help I receive.

Now the kicker - I'm on a tight budget and don't mind wrenching - so please, no replies that I should just buy a new bike - I love this one! It may be 30 years old, but it rocks - even more so after I'm done working on it!
    THX

Do you have a manual? It has pictures and everything.
    I'd only buy NOS Suzuki parts.
    Find OEM motorcycle and ATV parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Polaris.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi, I agree with Chef1366 about using genuine parts for the brake rebuild. I have just bought the Suzuki brake caliper kit for my 1982 GSX1100 so there is a good chance the kit is available for your GS. The cost of parts is much cheaper in the States so your budget shouldn't blow out to much, and no matter the cost, brakes that work can be pretty handy on a bike so they are one area that should always be done right. Let us know how it turns out, cheers.
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

You can pop the pistons out of the calipers using compressed air, grease from a grease gun, or with brake fluid from the system itself. Once the pistons are out inspect them closely, they can be reused as long as there is no corossion pitting. You can reuse the rubber seals and dust seal if they are in good condition although replacing them is always recommended since they are rubber after all.

I recommend scrubbing down the caliper body and all the parts using Simple Green. Obviously, everything needs to be completely dry before reassembly. Use caliper grease on the caliper sliding pins, not general purpose grease, and only use brake fluid for lubing the piston seals before assembly, nothing else is acceptable.

Same business for the master cylinder, dissemble and clean. None of this stuff is hard, just take your time and everything should sort it's self out.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Brake rebuild project

Thanks for the replies - Clymer manual (used) on the way.
          As for genuine SZ parts - they're out as I (perhaps foolishly) spent $240 on SS lines and banjos form a local place that was going out of business (no returns/exchanges) - as far as I can figure, as long as fluid is behind the pistons in a clean/rebuilt system the brakes will work - NO?
          I'm assuming a caliper boot kit and obviously fresh fluid - anything else(other than the usual time/beer/elbow grease)?
          Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

As long as the caliper seals are ok and the pistons aren't pitted or scored (in either case, allowing fluid to leak past the pistons under pressure or air to be sucked in) your assumption is correct.

If you need new pistons I'd recommend getting stainless - these guys have them:

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X