Question on rear shock Spacers on GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on rear shock Spacers on GS1000

Is it safe to replace the giant stack of washers Suzuki used to space the top eyes on the rear shocks with solid spacers?

Is there a reason they used 6 washers vs a pair of solid pieces?

I made up a set of 4 - 8mm thick spacers on the lathe from some extra 1" bar stock I had left over from making the rear set mounts.

FYI.. don't get a metal lathe.. Everywhere yo look you'll find some new thing to turn and polish to a mirror finish.. It's like tool crack..

No good reason that I can see.... (Except it allowed them to change shock, make adjustments etc without changing the spacers, just drop or add a washer).

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just be sure to get them parallel. I've had my 1000E since new but changed shocks long ago and don't remember the exact factory number of washers or any differences side to side. I remember the left side had less because the lift handle was part of the spacing.
      Maybe there's a detailed parts illustration somewhere if you want to check it out. Maybe the factory manual?
      I don't see a problem with using thicker washers/spacers as long as the shocks stay parallel.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I bet they did that so you could add sissy bars, luggage racks ........
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Diagram shows 3 & 2 washers on the left, 3 & 3 on the right for my GS1000L
          No grab bar on an L that I know of.

Can the top shock bolts be replaced or are the welded in?

My setup

I know the bike is dirty and needs paint. Cosmetics will come after basic repairs..
          I'm at a standstill with the forks so I've been dinking around with the lathe..
          Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

I believe the top shock studs are "part" of the frame.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X