testing a starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testing a starter

I'm just got a used starter and am trying to make sure it works before putting in back in. I thought I was doing it right, I grounded the body of the starter to the frame of the bike with jumper cables and then put the pos. cable on the pos. of the battery and then touched other pos. cable to the starter bolt and nothing happen. Do I have to have the neg. on the battery grounded too? I did check to see if I'm getting voltage to the starter and the test light comes on when I touch the starter bolt, but if I touch the outside casing the tester lights up. Any ideas. terrylee

Is the battery you are refereing to in the bike? and battery cables from bike connected to battery?

If so, then what you are saying sounds right, except putting the one jumper cable to bike frame may not be making a good connection at the frame due to paint and such. Try connecting that directly to battery negitive. So than have nothing but the starter connected to the battery.

Some people say doing this is not good, because starter spins way to fast with out any load. SO dont leave it run for more than just a second or so.

Also make connection to the starter bolt/connection first, then touch other end of jumper cable to battery. Do it this way so dont draw an arc on the starter bolt and mess up the threads.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

when I worked om my starter I just bolted it back on easy on my bike and luckly it work because I didnt have another one

Comment

There is a round deal on the end of the starter. Using your car battery and jumper cables. Attach both ends to the battery and the negative to the knob at the end of the starter. Then hit the connection with the red cable.
        Jiggle it if you have nothing, If still nothing Junk possibly rebuildable? Take it apart and have a look. I bought a starter once on Ebay and it was rusted out on the inside. Total junk. Have a looksy.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for the responses! I did have the battery out of bike when I tried it. Charged battery before I tried. And I did take it apart and all conections and brushes look good. I will try the suggestion when I get home from work. terrylee.

Comment

You can also just run your jumper cables directly from a battery to the starter.

Neither one has to be mounted to anything else, but you had better have a GOOD grip on the starter when you apply the power.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Had battery checked at battery store and checked out ok under load. Tried it on starter again and it worked! So after Thanksgiving will put back in, put cam chain tensior back on and go from there. Know I need another starter solenoid again-think old starter must have fried it. terrylee

Comment

Working...
              X