Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 GS1150ES Question? Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS1150ES Question? Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

I am replacing the rear shock on my GS1150ES and I was just wondering what all I need to take a part to take out the old (bad) one and install the replacement( Good ) one? Note: it is the exact same shock that I am replacing. is it a difficult task? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please advise!

It's been a while since I replaced mine with a Works unit. But, pull the rear wheel, get the chain guard out of the way. Remove the battery box. Pay attention to how the adjuster cable and nitrogen hose are routed.
    DO NOT disconnect the hose from the shock body, or the adjuster mechanism.
    DO NOT disconnect the hose from the shock body, or the adjuster mechanism.
    You might have to remove the airbox if you still have it.
    Unbolt the electrical components on either side of the frame and let the hang out of the way.
    I think that's about it. Getting all that stuff out of the way just makes it easier to access the top shock mount. Lube all the required points as described in the manual. And torque all bolts properly.
    Hope this helps.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Comment

Thank you Greg, Yes this info helps a great deal. I was hoping I didn't have to pull the swingarm out. ( not that it would be hard to do ) just the less to take apart the better for me, as I am not a mechanic. I will have to look into getting a manuel I guess for I do not have torgue specs for this process. but all other info you provided was very helpful. Thanks again Greg, You have been very helpful.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Holiday

Comment

Forgot to add, you need to support the bike by the frame so the swingarm can drop down.
        Have fun. And yes get a manual. The genuine Suzuki is the best, but the Haynes version is good too. If you get the Haynes, it covers more than one model of bike so you have to kind of jump around to use it. Although it does have a section just for the 1150, since alot of the 1150 systems are specific to that bike.
        Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
        The Three Horsemen
        '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
        '83 GS1100ES
        ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
        Porkchop Express

Comment

Working...
        X