Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat

Hi Guys,
    anyone out there got any tricks for keeping your seat in good condition, I am noticing very small splits appearing ....is this the start of the end or is there anything I can do to slow it down ?

thanks
    Photos

Duct tape, duct tape and more duct tape.

Actually to be honest I would like to hear if anyone has any suggestions?

Satch

Comment

I was hoping for something a little more subtle

Comment

Originally posted by photos
        I was hoping for something a little more subtle
        Black duct tape.

Sorry, couldn't resist... I got one of those vinyl repair kit thingies at Wal-Mart. Seems to be working OK.

Comment

oooooooh sophistication, , thanks

Comment

Thats just the start. And if you dont do something, and water will get into the cushion and wreck that too. You may say that you dont ride in the rain, but it might happen once, or it might get rained on while its parked.

My expereience is that when I first noticed similar splitting occuring, first I tried some of that vynal repair. That seemed okay for a season, at least made it so rain water didnt get to foam cushion. But by next season more places were doing the same. (Rode to work alot and parked in open lot in sun.) Then I took covering off the seat and glued some heavy fabric (work uniform pants material) patches on the under side of these areas, and more vynal repair on outside. Didnt look too bad, but was a noticeable cobble repair, but was better than duct tape. That held up for a season or two before comming apart more, then I finally bought a Travelcade seat cover and replaced the seat cover, looks okay if you get it on straight and smooth. Sold bike with that aftermarket cover.

Then on my current bike, when I noticed the same thing starting to happen, I just went right to the Travelcade replacement cover. If I was going to take cover off to repair it, I might as well replace it then rather than fussing and fusssing then replacing it later.

Both seats were on Gs, which was fairly easy to do. I suspect that the stepped seats of the GLs might be a bit more difficult.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

thats a shame because the seat is perfect except for a couple of these split.

Comment

There are lots of business' that recover seats.
                Use marine grade leather or vinyl.
                Look in the back of any m/c magazine, Sargeant is one that comes to mind. Any car/auto upholstery shops in your area?
                They can use your old seat cover as a template to make a new cover.
                Remember any water in the foam will start causing problems.
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Good advice from both KGB and Redman. I`ve had a couple like you describe...I tried everything because they were like you described almost perfect except a few minor places...I finally gave up and replaced them...now I just replace.

Comment

thanks guys, one last question ...how long do are seat covers supposed to last ?

Comment

Originally posted by photos
                      thanks guys, one last question ...how long do are seat covers supposed to last ?
                      Mine lasted 21 years before I replaced it (started to see the same cracks)...depends on if you leave it out in the elements or if you take care of it. Now I need to replace the foam because of my lard butt has compressed it to the point where it is almost non-existant.

Hap

Comment

I just replaced my seat with a travelcade...100$ canadian, and it was worth it.Wish i would have done it sooner, as water did get into the sponge...

Better hurry up and fix it.

Comment

This stuff will extend the life of vinyl dramatically. It's the UV additive and conditioners that make this product great. A old pillow case tucked around the seat works well for bikes parked out in the blazing heat also.

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemodeller
                            A old pillow case tucked around the seat works well for bikes parked out in the blazing heat also.

8) Dr. Dre 8)
                            Doc, You ought to add this to the Tips Section.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by max in montreal
                              I just replaced my seat with a travelcade...100$ canadian, and it was worth it.Wish i would have done it sooner, as water did get into the sponge...

Better hurry up and fix it.
                              Me too .......It looks great and was only 50 bucks from J.C. Whitney

Comment

Working...
                              X