torque specs on valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torque specs on valve cover

my clymer manual lists the spec at 4.5 -7.0 ft/lbs. i hand-tightened first then set my torque wrench to 5 ft/lbs, criss-crossed side to side and front to back. i got a hairline crack beside the left-center-front bolt along with an oil leak. i will j-b weld tonite, but... tomorrow i will hand-tighten and only proceed to tighten further if there is any seepage. hopefully this will help someone from having the same problem.

Valve Cover

I had a problem with my Valve Cover too. When I tried to tighten them to spec. One bolt broke, and it leaked out the front. The Head and the cover were very clean and a new gasket. I finally used a thin coat of silicon gasket maker with the gasket, I don't have the stuff with me now or I would tell you what it's called. I guy at the shop said I should not have to use anything like that,but it worked. I never could tighten them to spec. Someone else on here can help you better than me. But that's what happened.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

A torque wrench that will read accurately at those low readings is VERY expensive.

Use your hands and your brain.

Also, on 16V engines it's easy to get the valve cover hung up on a dowel pin and crack it.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

snug -then quarter-half turn with blue locktight

my head was stripped out from a torq wrench om nmy kz, and someone did it to my gs on a couple v cover bolts as well
        i got a newton meter torq wrench, there pretty good, but there just something about those vc botls, also cam bolts are easy to strip out

Comment

If you really want to follow specs, you need to get a torque wrench that will do inch pounds, not foot pounds, and covert. They are in 1/4" drive, which should not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            A torque wrench that will read accurately at those low readings is VERY expensive.

Use your hands and your brain.

Also, on 16V engines it's easy to get the valve cover hung up on a dowel pin and crack it.
            Yeah, not wanting to buy an expensive second torque wrench right now, anything under 10 I do by "feel"

Comment

I just use a cheap one from HF, but keep a few weights in the gagarge in case I need to do a quick calibration check. For cover bolts, I also do it by feel. Cam and head bolts by torque spec.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=807

Comment

i should have known better. i hand tightened this time, went for a test ride and all is well. but yep, no more torque wrench on covers!

Comment

I have a mac tools 1/4 inch drive that is in inchs pounds,but have strip a few threads on old bike,so I kinda work my way up to were am going

Comment

Working...
                  X