GS1150 oil removal with no access header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 oil removal with no access header

I just changed the oil on a GS1150ES i just purchased. It has a vance and hines aluminum looking header on it(nice header) but it runs directly under the drain plug. I drained what oil would come out of the oil filter housing and then lossened the clutch cover and leaned the bike to the right. I got most of the oil out (which was pretty thick and black). I am wondering if there is an easier method to drain the oil out for next time. Is header removal the norm on these header types?
    Thanks
    Drew

Can you change your filter without removing the header? Draining the oil isn't the problem, it's the filter change.

Comment

Header removal is the norm.
      Taking the header off is no big deal,( kind of a pain in the a$$) just the front eight bolts and the hanger. I doubt that it's all aluminum but it is still quite light and comes off in one piece. With an ES, you probably won't have to deal with the plastic.
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Some use a pump to siphon most of the oil out via the oil fill hole. Do a google search, and check ebay as well, for these. Not sure how much of the oil is drained this way, though. Another long-term fix would be to get a cheap pan on ebay, and drill/tap it for a drain plug at a more convenient location. I wouldn't want to take the header off/on too often myself.
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
        X