Other pulling methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other pulling methods?

I am working on a gs1100e, not the red beauty you all helped me get running, but another. The PO removed the stator cover, tried to remove the rotor, but failed, ruining both the threads that the proper puller should go on, and the rotor itself. I have another rotor, but am unable to remove the old one. I tried a two armed puller on the outside with and without heat, I broke the puller arm and bent the rotor more. It is now not all that circular, and no closer to being off the machine.
    Any ideas on how to get it off? Can I cut it off, or will a whiz-wheel not work to my advantage? I have a crappy welder, but I am not sure the weld it will make will hold if I try to weld on a tool and pull it off that way. I have a large slide hammer, but am hesitant to attach something to something that is attached to the crank and then pull really hard on that thing. Right? Wrong? It'd be nice to get this motor running so I don't have to part it out.
    Thanks in advance for any help, or the diagnosis that I'm porked.

Are the internal or external rotor threads stripped?

Pics would be good..

Comment

Use the slap hammer, I have used it several times on my bikes with great success. Maybe a little heat first, than slap hammer. Never had luck with a claw puller.

Comment

+1 on using a slide hammer with a puller rig. And Id hit it with a taste of penetrating oil

Comment

The threads that the factory puller go onto are gone, stripped off. The threads on the crank are still fine. I will try the slide hammer and heat tomorrow.

Comment

Next time use grease on the treads of the puller. Of course to late with that tip now.

Comment

The rotor on my GS1000 had 2 sets of threads..

one on the outside of the snout..
              The 2nd is on the inside of the snout is 16mmx1.5

What set did you strip?

Or do you have the small rotor that only has inside threads?
              Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2009, 03:23 AM.

Comment

There was only one set of threads on the rotor, and they were stripped completely off before I even got to this bike.
                I shall try using the slide hammer Wednesday, hopefully I will be able to post a pic of the mangled, but OFF, rotor.

Comment

finally!

Well, I got the rotor off....I had to cut it off, which sucked, and I hit the crank a little with the whiz wheel, but I have confidence I can clean it up and a rotor will work. The problem is the rotor that the guy gave me is wrong, does not fit. The taper is way too small on this rotor, it's the same rotor my 82 has. Does anyone have a rotor that is for this bike that they want to trade for mine? Or buy this one? Or sell me theirs? I'm swimming in luck with this bike...haha

Comment

What are you pulling on?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Where I come from we normally take em to dinner, maybe the pub before we try anything on...... Oh you mean a different type of pulling
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have a PERFECT one & will trade you! I just need to get back home so I can send it to you. I could PROBABLY get it out on Monday or Tuesday. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          I have a PERFECT one & will trade you! I just need to get back home so I can send it to you. I could PROBABLY get it out on Monday or Tuesday. Ray.
                          A trade?!
                          I have one to trade but instead you called me a cheapskate.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X