Front end swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end swap

I am looking at swapping my front end out for something from a newer bike, i know a few people here have done it.
    I was just after some advice, my main concern is the length for the newer forks, they all seem to be shorter.
    Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    PS. Sorry, i have a 1981 GS1000G.

I have the same bike, and besides liking the look of the old forks that's my issue. Pretty much anything like GSXR is gonna be 2.5 inches or so shorter. I'm not sure about Bandit front ends, they might be a bit longer.

Comment

Generally in any year, the GSXR 1100 forks are longer than the GSXR 750 forks. The 86-88 RSU 1st gen GSXR 1100 forks were only about 1/2" shorter than my GS. But you still have to make up for ground clearance drops due to shorter wheels.

The more modern forks dont need as much tavel and so others report not needing as much clerance as with the stock forks.

Comment

All easilly sorted for length with a stepped top yoke if you want to use shorter usd's

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone

Originally posted by tone View Post
          All easilly sorted for length with a stepped top yoke if you want to use shorter usd's
          Are you taking the p1ss? Or is this for real?

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
            Thanks for the tips everyone

Are you taking the p1ss? Or is this for real?
            He is for real. Stepped top clamps are a solve for alot of the ground clearance issues involved with swapping to a modern fork. The moder stuff is generally designed around clipon bars so the extra length found in our forks isn't needed. As Pos said the longest gixxer fork is at least 1/2" shorter than ours and if you went with early stuff you'd at best have an 18" wheel up front vs 19". So already you've lost about an inch point five to start. However that only translates to about 5/8 inch at center ( something like that Pos?) of the bike and with stiffer springs and less travel in the newer fork it becomes not so much of an issue. More clearance can be made up with a stepped to tree clamp as Tone said which allows you to push the forks down in the clamps a bit and gain maybe an inch back. The problem here is finding a stepped
            clamp that will work with your fork choice. Do a search and some have found certain combos of gixxer forks and a Honda 929 top clamp will work together. Barring that one would have to be made. One off. And that gets expensive.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Cafe Kid, and thanks for info Tone.

Comment

If you want to switch to radials you're going to have fun with the rear end on a shaft drive... pretty tough to find a wheel wide enough. There was one guy on here doing it but I don't know that he ever finished it....

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  If you want to switch to radials you're going to have fun with the rear end on a shaft drive... pretty tough to find a wheel wide enough. There was one guy on here doing it but I don't know that he ever finished it....

Dan
                  Thanks Dan,
                  Are you talking about matching front and rear wheels? it is a tight enough fit putting the rear wheel through the final drive as it is

I am not aiming for radials, just upgrading brakes, suspension e.t.c in what i thought might be a more economical fashion, but it doesnt sound that way.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
                    Thanks Dan,
                    Are you talking about matching front and rear wheels? it is a tight enough fit putting the rear wheel through the final drive as it is

I am not aiming for radials, just upgrading brakes, suspension e.t.c in what i thought might be a more economical fashion, but it doesn't sound that way.
                    Given your shafty constraints, here is what I would look into for your G in lieu of a GSXR conversion:

checkout Dans Brake conversion and see if you can adapt that.
                    Avon Tires (Sport Demons are good but at the expense of low mileage wear)
                    Fork brace ($100)
                    cartridge emulators ($175)

All this provides a moderate improvement to what you have. So if you really like your bike do it. Else keep it stock and get something a little newer.

Comment

Brake kit bolts straight onto a 1000G - I had it on mine. Gives you twinpot Kawasaki brakes (CBR Rotors also fit).

Don't forget the progressive springs for the forks (or racetech ones).

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Dan
                        The gent in the "Baddest 850" thread grafted a hub spline assembly from a GS into a bandit/gixxer wheel. Not something for an imexperienced welder
                        to attempt for sure and probably damn expensive to have done I'm sure but if you have the cash it can be done.

Comment

This was just posed in the discussion area. Shows it is "possible" to go wide with shafty

Last edited by posplayr; 11-29-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X