Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake light switch

Gentlemen,

When I partially step on the rear brake pedal of my '77 GS750 the brake light comes on but if I push it all the way down the light goes out again. Does this sound right? Is this an adjustment issue or is the switch shot?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

sounds like an adjustment problem mate. raise the switch up a bit
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Could be the switch, or the wiring. Maybe there is a broken wire right where they enter the switch, and as you mash all the way down it gets disconnected. Also the contacts inside the switch may just be worn out. 32 yr. old bike you know.
      A new switch is about $25. from Suzuki, part #37610-53011
      The Three Horsemen
      '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
      '83 GS1100ES
      ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
      Porkchop Express

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry. You said "gentlemen".

No, it isn't working right. I've never had the rear switch act up beyond needing simple adjustment to make it go on sooner. The front has given me problems that were related to dirt and once I needed to replace the little copper "U" and its spring. Never worked on the rear switch if it is servicable.
        Without seeing the part, I imagine it can be taken apart and cleaned inside? A lot of dirt flys around in that area and corrosion can cause trouble too. I'd inspect and see if it comes apart. Some contact cleaner should help. If cleaning doesn't help then maybe there are some replaceable parts in there.
        Not much help I know but I've never had to play with one. If it is servicable, be careful of things popping on you as you take it apart. If it's not servicable and costs to much to replace, maybe a member here has a used one he can part with.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

just buy a new one. replacement pattern ones are cheap as chips
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
          X