Valve adjustment question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
    I stick the bent zip tie in so that it hits the valve stem. Then I know it's under the face as is should be. Then, holding it in place you either have to reach down, or around to turn the crank or have an assistant do it. If you let go of the zip tie, even if it seems to stay in place the valve will dislodge it.
    got it wow. feel like an idiot. way easy. so record each size replace and move on right?

Comment

That's it.

Want the spreadsheet?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Okay so sizes are as follows. Doesn't look like i can do much swapping.

4 intake 2.55x
        4 exhaust 2.65
        3 intake 2.60
        3 exhaust 2.55
        2 intake 2.55x
        2 exhaust 2.60
        1 exhaust 2.60x
        1 intake 2.55x

i emailed you offline for the spreadsheet steve. did you get it?

Comment

Here is a video of adjusting the valves. It tends to be dry and long but very informative. I'm pretty sure it has been posted before and I know some of you will let that be known. But here it is again. sachsaca

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...54469142545363#

Comment

I tried the zip tie method but didnt catch the first time and got a bit afraid of sticking things into the engibe with fear of something getting dropped in or broke, so I covered the holes and went to plan b. I used an allen key that fit about how the "tool" fits on the top of the engine and made do with that method.

As far as the measuring and shim sizes it can get confusing, I did get the spreadsheet but basically used the same principles as that and did it on a sheet of paper in the garage.

Also I got a small 2.35 shim to put in and use to measure and calculate what size I needed. Took a while but worked. I had to buy a few shims to avoid many trips to the dealer, but now I can swap my extras with them for free next time.

Oh and fyi, I did try the "real" gasket and after doing the shims once and replacing all the gaskets after I will put the OEM gasket on in the spring. The real gasket is just to thick and really messed up my tach, could not get the worm drive set right no matter how tight I made it broke my cable from that and well no tach again. It sounds like a good idea as you can reuse it for multiple shim adustments but imo is not worth it.

Comment

Hell you can reuse the OEM gasket for multiple shim adjustments. Lightly grease both sides of when you install, regrease lightly each time you pull the cover. Those things are very reusable.

Comment

The one I took off the first time had no chance of reuse, was at 20k miles and it seemed like it never was taken off.

I do have a new oem gasket that came with the gasket set I got for replacing the head and base, so I will put that one on in the spring and do as you say. Should be fine for the next few checks.

Comment

Originally posted by tipwise View Post
                  Okay so sizes are as follows. Doesn't look like i can do much swapping.

4 intake 2.55x
                  4 exhaust 2.65
                  3 intake 2.60
                  3 exhaust 2.55
                  2 intake 2.55x
                  2 exhaust 2.60
                  1 exhaust 2.60x
                  1 intake 2.55x

i emailed you offline for the spreadsheet steve. did you get it?
                  Yes, I got the request. Your spreadsheet will be there shortly.

Just looking at the shim sizes won't tell you that you can't move anything unless they are ALL the same size.
                  You have four sizes there, so, depending on what your clearances are, you might be able to do some swapping.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pretty good odds as Steve said you can do some swapping. Even if all tight, the 2.60 can be replaced with the 2.55 etc... at least maybe.

Comment

Working...
                    X