Rear Axel and Caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Axel and Caliper

I have a GS 1000 1979/1980 chain drive I was re-checking my rear axel and caliper and noted if I tighten the Axel nut down or my two bolts that hold the brake caliper on my back wheel gets tight and will not spin freely. On my GS500F 2005 the wheel will spin no matter how tight the axel nut is. Is something wrong on the 1000? I'm going to take it back apart and see if all the stuff is in there right. Can someone help me on this Please.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Sounds like you might have put the spacers on the caliper side in out of order maybe. Double check those. On the caliper side it should be the rotor then the tophat looking spacer with the smoothside out then the caliper hanger then the round spacer. If you get them out of order the offset on the caliper hanger will cause the caliper and pads to drag. Same on the otherside as well. Just a guess.

Comment

Do the caliper piston(s) move in/out freely?

Comment

yes

Yes, they do move freely I cleaned and rebuilt them. New pads and stuff. As long as I don't tighten the bolts that hold the caliper on, tight they are Ok. If I crank them down the back wheel will not turn. Same with my Axel. But I think it may all be tied into the caliper being installed wrong.
        Last edited by mike10; 11-30-2009, 03:33 PM. Reason: add on
        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Are the caliper pistons pushed all the way in?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Back to what TheCafeKid said. I just put mine back together recently after a tire change and there is no way tightening the bolt would bind the wheel unless the spacers are not in the proper place. It has to be pulling the entire caliper assembly one way or the other to bind, or, it's correct and one of the pads is stuck and out too far.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Rear wheel binding

Thanks you Guys, I'm going to take it apart and give it another shot.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Rear brake disk

I used a disk from the front wheel on the back, I have extra brake parts. I wanted the hole designs to be the same front and back could that be my rear wheel binding problem?
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Now you're thinking! Considering the rear disk is a good bit thicker than the front disk, it would be a real good idea to get it changed immediately and most likely solve your problem too.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Here is a link to the manual for the GS1000. http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/GS1000.pdf The rear axle and spacers are on page 154. It is found on BassCliff"s excellent website http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

It is possible that the offset of a front disc, which you have fitted on the rear, is different to the rear disc offset, causing the binding. Perhaps somenone who knows for sure will be able to confirm this.
                      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
                      X