Knocking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking sound

I just bought a 1981 gs650e and I noticed today that in 5th gear there is a knocking noise, and only in 5th gear. The noise increases with speed. Does anyone have an idea as to what would be causing this noise?

What octane of gas do you use?

Comment

regular

I use regular gas

Comment

You might want to try a 92-93 Octane, and see if it stops. Worked for my last bike.

Comment

Re: Knocking sound

What is your oil level in your sight glass, how old is your oil and what oil are you using? Also, have you removed your engine countershaft sprocket cover and checked to see that the hold down nut on your countershaft sprocket is tight?

earl

Originally posted by gs650e
          I just bought a 1981 gs650e and I noticed today that in 5th gear there is a knocking noise, and only in 5th gear. The noise increases with speed. Does anyone have an idea as to what would be causing this noise?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I just changed the oil(10W 40). The oil is at the full mark in the window. Doing this had no effect on the sound the bike makes in 5th gear. It is possible that 5th gear is going?

Comment

Working...
            X