[b]alternative coils and ignition wires[/b]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[b]alternative coils and ignition wires[/b]

Hey gus, I was wondering if any1 has looked into using some coils and wires from a more modern bike? something like a honda f3 or a later model GSXR or something. My bike has the stock electronic ignition(1986 550ES) anybody know what coils would be safe to use?? Always looking for the alternatives. stock Suzuki parts might as well be gold plated from your local price gouger a.k.a. dealer, and used ones are are all over 15 years old to brgin with. Yes I know ther are aftermarket coil and wire sets but you can pick thewe others up for a song. do the newer coils take the same ohms? Thanks to all of you who always give the best advice. Your time and efforts are always appreciated and never go to waste.

Pete

If you want to upgrade, just buy some Accell coils for your bike. I have no idea about resistance on new coils. I'd imagine if they'll bolt on and hook up, the trigger in the electronic ignition will fire them.

Tim

Comment

ummm let me see ....... 120 something for aftermarket coils.........15 bucks for late model coils and wires.......

Comment

If you can get them for 15.00 I think you should put them on and see if they work. I tend to put a high dollar value on my time. That dictates my purchasing new parts, or every possible combination. Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Tim

Comment

Maybe you can. How do you measure the primary resistance of your coils?

Comment

Hey krash,

If you find out anything please pass it along. I'd love to do the same to my bike.

Comment

krash

to get a reading you would have to hook your voltmeter on the + and - on the coil

Comment

Thanks much rick!!!!!! simple answer to a simple question. How about this: can I use coils with more higher resistance or lower resistance. I recall hearing its one way or the other just cant remember which.

Thanks again.

Pete

Comment

well when i got my 78 750 it had dyna sig generator( thank god!) i pulled the cover to check points and found dyna, was i happy. so i called the cycle shop and he said i needed 3ohm coils to work with my setup , bought the accel coil kit and it works great. for bikes with CDI you can run the lower ohm coils i belive.

Comment

hey fellas I tested the primary resistance of my coils and came up with almost 4.5 ohms also the ones on my spare engine also checked out the same around 4.3 ohms. is this my meter or is this the correct resistance for my coils, ( GS550ES 1986-electronic ignition)? Thanks again.

Pete

Comment

those are 3 ohm coils. the difference is in your non-calibrated meter. Don't sweat, it most meters will only get you close.

Comment

Working...
                      X