Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four dumb questions (fuel gauge/idle spd./starti/fork oil)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four dumb questions (fuel gauge/idle spd./starti/fork oil)

Alright, '78 gs750... Definitely a "newbie"

Don't feel any obligation to answer all four, any advice/suggestions are appreciated

#1) Woah! You guys have fuel gauges?! My gauge is my eye and my ear. Where can I get myself one of those? Got any suggestions?

#2) My bike idles (when warm, and after fiddling with the idle speed), at around 1300-1700. It feels fine, and if it goes lower, it has the tendancy to want to die on me. Is there any reason I should care about this.. I mean, honestly, not technically?

#3) It's a pain to get my bike started, I like to pop the choke up, kick start it (the electric start just seems to drain the battery, and I don't mind kicking it) and then drop the choke out while upping the idle speed. After it warms up, I drop the idle speed down. Keep in mind, this is even in 80+ degree weather. Am I doing something awful to my bike?

#4) Fork oil. Got the bike at around 27000 miles, ridden it a few hundred. No idea about prior fork oil "upkeep." What's the deal with this?

Thanks,
    Snappy answer are perfectly acceptable, detailed is always great too
    This forum really is a godsend.

Thanks so much, again
    Sam J

I have a fuel guage, it is useless unless you like to watch the needle move.

If the bike runs ok, don't worry

A good idea to change all replaceable fluids. You will be amazed how much smoother it feels, unless of course the previous owner look after the GS

Comment

#1 I don't see how retrofitting a fuel gauge would work for you, but.....

#2 Sounds like you hav an intake leak at the carb-to-head boots, a large one at that. Don't mess around trying to fix 'em, spend the money and replace them.

#3 Same reason as above. hurting? maybe, maybe not. Good? Not in my opinion.

#4 release air pressure (if equipped) pull out little scres on bottom of fork, drain out the sludge, and refill with fresh 15w fork oil or suitablee substitute.

:twisted:

Comment

Re: Four dumb questions (fuel gauge/idle spd./starti/fork oi

1. My 79 750 doesnt have a fuel guage either. When you fill the gas tank, reset the trip meter to zero. My 750 goes on reserve at 160 miles and at that point, my reserve is good for another 30 miles before I am out of gas.

2. The 77 through 79 model 750/w have "O" ring seals on the induction boots between the cylinder head and the mating surface of the boot. They cost about 1.50 each from the Suzuki dealer. Splurge for the 5 bucks. :-)
        The bike will run smoother, idle much better and start easier.

3. To start the bike, never twist the throttle. Twisting the throttle cancels the effectiveness of the choke. If the bike has been sitting for a few days, pull the choke all the way out, turn the fuel petcock to prime for about 4 or 5 seconds, ignition switch on, press starter button. It should start within a couple of turnovers. Switch petcock to run. If the bike has been run within 24 hours, you can just leave the petcock set to run and not use the prime setting. The above will not offer any improvement if your induction "O" rings are leaking, your carbs are out of adjustment, you have weak spark or incorrect ignition timing. For stock pipes and airbox, the fuel pilot screws (protrude underneath the float bowl) should be 1 1/2 turns out and the airscrews should be 1 3/4 to 2 turns out.

4. Change the fork oil. Its a commonly neglected maintenance item and having the same amount of clean fork oil in each tube will do wonders for the suspension and handling.

Earl

Originally posted by samj
        Alright, '78 gs750... Definitely a "newbie"

Don't feel any obligation to answer all four, any advice/suggestions are appreciated

#1) Woah! You guys have fuel gauges?! My gauge is my eye and my ear. Where can I get myself one of those? Got any suggestions?

#2) My bike idles (when warm, and after fiddling with the idle speed), at around 1300-1700. It feels fine, and if it goes lower, it has the tendancy to want to die on me. Is there any reason I should care about this.. I mean, honestly, not technically?

#3) It's a pain to get my bike started, I like to pop the choke up, kick start it (the electric start just seems to drain the battery, and I don't mind kicking it) and then drop the choke out while upping the idle speed. After it warms up, I drop the idle speed down. Keep in mind, this is even in 80+ degree weather. Am I doing something awful to my bike?

#4) Fork oil. Got the bike at around 27000 miles, ridden it a few hundred. No idea about prior fork oil "upkeep." What's the deal with this?

Thanks,
        Snappy answer are perfectly acceptable, detailed is always great too
        This forum really is a godsend.

Thanks so much, again
        Sam J
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

you guys are so great

thanks

Comment

2. and 3. sound a lot like my bike when I got it last summer. Dealer had presumably cleaned the carbs. Bike ran fine on the road, but idle speed seemed high, and subsequent cold starts were a real pain. Found a couple of exhaust pipes not warming nearly as quickly as the others; checked carbs thoroughly and couldn't figure out what had been cleaned. Lots of residue in the float bowls, clogged passages, etc. Might be worth looking into.

Comment

Carbs may need cleaning but....

The carbs may need checking into, but the intake leak sounds like the problem. My bike currently has an intake leak even with new seals. I have since learned that instaling the seals dry is not good. Before I go any distance greater than a few miles I'm going to add some grease to the seals. I don't want to burn up any pistons that might result from running too lean.

Comment

Idle jets........ your idle jets are probably partially blocked. This will cause both your idle and starting problems.

Comment

Working...
                X