confused...won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused...won't start

the bike is a 1980 gs850l. it ran great when i picked it up about two months ago. it hasn't been run in that two months now it won't start. i just put a new petcock in today and tried to start it and i get nothing, not even a sputter. the airbox is sealed, it's getting good spark, float bowls had gas when i checked them. i did a lazy man's carb clean (took the carbs off and soaked the heck out of them with carb cleaner, they were already clean anyways). i don't know what's left. any help would be appreciated!!!

Originally posted by hansimusmaximus View Post
    not even a sputter.
    Is it cranking ? Kill switch ? Clutch pulled in ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

yup, it's cranking. the battery is less than a year old. kill switch set to RUN

Comment

I have a problem priodically with the kill switch on my 78 750. I will have to flip it back and forth sometimes to get it unstuck..just wants to stick sometimes. Also on both my 77 and the 78 if they sit a while i have to choke the hell out of them. Full choke and just keep cranking till they start. sometimes takes a good 30 seconds or so of solid cranking to get them to start. Dont know why but thats just how they have always been.. Hope my experience is of some value.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

do you think the gas could be bad? the gas is about 2-3 months old but i didn't think it would be long enough to go bad...i could be wrong.

Comment

well it certainly doesnt help things...if your gonna store it or not ride it for an extended time i feel you should at least add a few caps full of STABIL and run it for a few minutes to get it throughout the entire system. I dont believe in DRAINING the tank and carbs as i hear others preach. My reasoning is this..If the tank is full and doesnt have room for condensation then you wont have a rusted tank in the spring. Gas being a petroleum product protects from oxidation..to a point.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Set your petcock to prime and leave it for 5 solid minutes. Make sure the vacuum line is attached. Also, that the choke cable is functioning. Do you have a fully charged battery ?
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry.. Why do you think i have the hard start problem with mine?? I started them all this past sunday. If i let them sit till next weekend they will do the same. So are you saying that even though they had ran a week ago i should use the prime and see if that makes them start easier?? Sorry to my fellow member here..not intending to hijack your thread here...Larry PM me...

Comment

put new gas in, same thing. i pulled the spark plugs and they are all dry. how could the bike be running well two months ago and now it won't even get gas to the cylinders? any help would be appreciated!!

Comment

... how could the bike be running well two months ago and now it won't even get gas to the cylinders?
                    I think you answered your own question.
                    ... i did a lazy man's carb clean (took the carbs off and soaked the heck out of them with carb cleaner,
                    How many times have you seen it preached on the board? THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS WHEN CLEANING THE CARBS.

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    Set your petcock to prime and leave it for 5 solid minutes. Make sure the vacuum line is attached. Also, that the choke cable is functioning. Do you have a fully charged battery ?
                    Most of these are valid points, but why prime for 5 minutes? If it takes more than 30 seconds to fill the float bowls, you have other problems.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Larry.. Why do you think i have the hard start problem with mine?? I started them all this past sunday. If i let them sit till next weekend they will do the same. So are you saying that even though they had ran a week ago i should use the prime and see if that makes them start easier?? Sorry to my fellow member here..not intending to hijack your thread here...Larry PM me...
                    Here, I'll at least post the hijack notification.
                    Chuck, when you start all your bikes, do you take them all out for a ride? If not, you are doing them more harm than good by starting them like that. They don't get warm enough to get rid of condensation in the crankcase and exhaust system, leading to problems later. You will be better off just stabilizing the gas in the (full) tank, putting a battery tender on it and covering it with a breathable cloth (if it's stored inside).

As far as hard starting problems, one of the most-common causes of hard starting when cold is ... are you ready? ... improper valve adjustment. Second most common? Dirty carbs.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My statement about leaving the petcock on prime for 5 minutes is to ensure that you're leaving it there long enough........1 minute, 30 seconds, 2 minutes....whatever. The point is, you have to give it some time to fill up the bowls.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                      X