Unbelievable FREE MUFFLERS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbelievable FREE MUFFLERS!!

8O I've been looking for replacement mufflers for some time for my '82 GS1100GK. I know BikeBandit listed them at around $300, JC Whitney about $105 delivered. I wanted slightly longer than factory. Of all the places ...a Harley dealership!!! It went like this. I was in Kansas City looking for plastic polish I heard about here (Novus #2) and happened to ask the parts guy what the quietest muffler he had was. You would have thought I asked to date his dog! He said, "In all the time I've worked for Harley, noone's EVER asked that question!" I told him I was looking for a replacement for my old Suzuki. I didn't want a loud pipe. He told me "go to the service desk and see if they'll give you one." I went and told the Service manager what I was looking for. In about 30 seconds he came back with a brand new complete exhaust off a Sportster. I was stunned!! He said 8 out of 10 bikes leave here with a louder set of pipes and mufflers. We don't give them credit for them. If they don't want them, we keep some here in case an owner drops a bike. I left, and called a friend that has a muffler shop. He told me bring 'em in, we'll make them fit. Before I got back to St. Joseph, I stopped at the local H-D dealership and told the service manager the same story and asked him if he had any from a Road Glide or similar bike since the exhausts are on both sides. It wasn't a minute before he brought out a brand new pair of Road King mufflers ($250 each) and handed them to me!! He said he had a pile 3 feet high in the back. When I took the old ones off and put the Harleys on, Suzi was quieter than stock!! When I get some pictures I'll post them. We have to make a bracket to go under the Bags but no sweat there. Some of you may want to try this. You might be stunned at the results ... especially from a set of free pipes. And I get to laugh at my Harley buddies....happy hunting!!

Re: Unbelievable FREE MUFFLERS!!

Thats unbelievable and caused the biggest smile I've had in quite some time. :-) :-) Methinks I shall visit the HD shop and see what they say. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="yashana5783"]8O I've been looking for replacement mufflers for some time for my '82 GS1100GK. I know BikeBandit listed them at around $300, JC Whitney about $105 delivered. I wanted slightly longer than factory. Of all the places ...a Harley dealership!!!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I don't think I was more surprised when I went to the 2nd dealership and they didn't blink about giving up a pair! The Road King, Road Glide and Electra Glide have the separate mufflers, but they have a larger diameter. But if I hadn't gotten the second pair I would have just made the first ones work. The great thing about the first set was that the chromed heat shields were on them with all the hardware and everything.

Comment

Are all mufflers created equal?

What about back pressure and all that stuff? does it matter if the muffler was made for a different bike? Is it possible that the Suzuki is tuned to a different set of mufflers?
        I love the idea of grabbing some mufflers for free!
        Thanks for the post.
        Mike

Comment

8O

I need (well, not really) to replace the mufflers on my bike, since my old Tourmaster canvas bags melted on them. Looks like I know where to go to replace them.

Comment

Well, I completed the swap today. I had to fabricate different supports behind the bags since the pipes are heavier than the factory mufflers. I also had to heat and rebend the centerstand footstrut to clear the larger mufflers. I wouldn't have had to with the Sportster mufflers but they weren't as quiet.The difference is enjoyable. The bike is quieter, but the tone is a deeper rumble. The bike has a slightly faster response, which I attribute to running slightly leaner with the reduced restriction. I still have to fashion new heat shields to cover the collectors but that can wait. Suzi sounds great and the pipes give her a different look. All for a couple of hours time and just asking a goofy question. Good luck on your swaps...

Comment

i dont think the bike will run leaner with a more restrictive exhaust. if anything, it would run richer.

~Adam

Comment

yashana, very interesting...please provide more details/pictures on this project. Did you use the stock Suzuki header pipes ? If so, how did you attach the Harley Mufflers ? On the stock system the 2 outside header pipes are welded to the mufflers and the inside headers slip into the y connector whick is also welded to the muffler. You also mentioned that JC Whitney had a set. I looked in their catalogue and could'nt find anything for the 1100GK (or were you planning on welding a generic replacement muffler onto the stock header pipes beyond the y connection ?

Comment

PICTURES!!!

(JayB's always talking about orange being a Harley color)

Them are Harley colors Boy!!!

Comment

got any pics??

Comment

Originally posted by yashana5783
                      8O I've been looking for replacement mufflers for some time for my '82 GS1100GK. I know BikeBandit listed them at around $300, JC Whitney about $105 delivered. I wanted slightly longer than factory. Of all the places ...a Harley dealership!!! It went like this. I was in Kansas City looking for plastic polish I heard about here (Novus #2) and happened to ask the parts guy what the quietest muffler he had was. You would have thought I asked to date his dog! He said, "In all the time I've worked for Harley, noone's EVER asked that question!" I told him I was looking for a replacement for my old Suzuki. I didn't want a loud pipe. He told me "go to the service desk and see if they'll give you one." I went and told the Service manager what I was looking for. In about 30 seconds he came back with a brand new complete exhaust off a Sportster. I was stunned!! He said 8 out of 10 bikes leave here with a louder set of pipes and mufflers. We don't give them credit for them. If they don't want them, we keep some here in case an owner drops a bike. I left, and called a friend that has a muffler shop. He told me bring 'em in, we'll make them fit. Before I got back to St. Joseph, I stopped at the local H-D dealership and told the service manager the same story and asked him if he had any from a Road Glide or similar bike since the exhausts are on both sides. It wasn't a minute before he brought out a brand new pair of Road King mufflers ($250 each) and handed them to me!! He said he had a pile 3 feet high in the back. When I took the old ones off and put the Harleys on, Suzi was quieter than stock!! When I get some pictures I'll post them. We have to make a bracket to go under the Bags but no sweat there. Some of you may want to try this. You might be stunned at the results ... especially from a set of free pipes. And I get to laugh at my Harley buddies....happy hunting!!
                      Ever get any pics? I think I want to do this!!!

Comment

Last year I did the same thing after hearing that if you walked into a Harley dealership and asked nicely they would be only too happy to make more space by giving away the many unwanted factory mufflers.

Although I haven't gotten around to mounting them on my 550L, they were absolutely free!

Steve 8)

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]Thats unbelievable and caused the biggest smile I've had in quite some time. :-) :-) Methinks I shall visit the HD shop and see what they say. :-) :-)

Earl

8O I've been looking for replacement mufflers for some time for my '82 GS1100GK. I know BikeBandit listed them at around $300, JC Whitney about $105 delivered. I wanted slightly longer than factory. Of all the places ...a Harley dealership!!!
                          I can just visualize you putting dyna wide glide mufflers on your 1150

Comment

Next you'll be getting a hugh HD chest tatoo and some dangly leather thingys from the bar ends and an overwhelming desire to wave at Harleys(I know they are bike riders too an we should wave at them even if they won't wave back)

Comment

Working...
                            X