Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shim lucky

Only jap bike tinkerers would get this.

I have to share some rare good luck I had adjusting the valve clearance on my newly aquired '79 GS850. I checked all the clearances and all was good except for 2 that had no clearance and 1 that had too much. The ones that were too tight had 2.75mm and 2.80mm shims and the 1 that was too loose had a 2.70mm shim.

So I put the 2.70mm where the 2.75mm was, the 2.75mm where the 2.80 was and I used a 2.75mm (that was left over from my GS750) where the 2.70mm was. Now all clearances are within spec.

I doesn't often go this way.

Brian

Nice work. Luck is good.

I suggest you keep notes on all the shims you have and pre-order spares for your next adjustment. Preparation is better than luck, and lack of preparation is a recipe to failure, or delay as the case may be.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

wow those are high numbers you got tons of room to move down

Im in the 2.50 to 2.65 range with my shims

Comment

I'm in an uncomfortable position on my 1000 in that when APE recut the seats on my head they trimmed down the valve stems to compensate, but not quite enough for my taste so I'm down in the 2.35, 2.30 range now. Not as common as 2.60 and 2.65 (which I now have a bag of).

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
          Im in the 2.50 to 2.65 range with my shims
          i'm in the same range as you. looks like we both have a ways to go. i think i saw shims from z1 that get near 2

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
            i'm in the same range as you. looks like we both have a ways to go. i think i saw shims from z1 that get near 2
            I think 2.10 or maybe 2.05 is the smallest they made.

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
              Now all clearances are within spec.
              I doesn't often go this way.
              Luck is nice, but preparation is better. Enjoy it while you can.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Nice work. Luck is good.

I suggest you keep notes on all the shims you have and pre-order spares for your next adjustment. Preparation is better than luck, and lack of preparation is a recipe to failure, or delay as the case may be.
              See? I'm not the only one who thinks like that.
              To aid you with your preparation, let me offer you my Excel spreadsheet that will help you determine what shims you need and will help you keep track of what shims are in there. Look at my signature for ordering information. Please note: a PM is not the same as an e-mail.

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
              Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              I think 2.10 or maybe 2.05 is the smallest they made.
              Actually, the factory shims range from 2.15 to 3.10.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X