real gasket questee-awn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

real gasket questee-awn

i put on a new real gasket last week with the valve adjustment. it started leaking today just when i got back to my street. the gasket looked to have slid in under the cover on the backside of the exhaust side of the cover and oil was leaking out. i cleaned the cover with degreaser and washed it in dawn dw detergent the other day. the gasket was clean and i'm mostly positive i saw i nice bit of gasket exposed when i installed. it looks like a small spot slid inward. i got everything as dry as possible per their instruction.

anyhow, i cleaned everything again and have it ready to bolt back up. any extra tips?

Most problems with leaking Real gaskets seem to be caused by incorrect torque when tightening the bolts....the values are specified in inch/pounds, and over-tightening them usually results in leakage & a ruined gasket. Double check the setting on your wrench...if it isn't an inch/pound wrench, finger-tight+1/3 turn comes pretty close to 15 inch/pounds.
    Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Comment

not a know it all but.. use a torque wrench. experienced mechanics can get at best +/-15% by hand. when someone says 1/4 turn past snug, or whatever, is that on a 6 inch ratchet handle? 12? 18? big difference.

Mark
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
        not a know it all but.. use a torque wrench. experienced mechanics can get at best +/-15% by hand. when someone says 1/4 turn past snug, or whatever, is that on a 6 inch ratchet handle? 12? 18? big difference.

Mark
        Just use a greasy screwdriver with a smooth handle.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Agreed Mark, a torque wrench would be best. Few applications on the bike call for the low range wrench specified by Real Gasket, however. I suppose some could get the bolts more finger-tight than others, leading to inconsistency but the subsequent 1/3 turn should really remain the same, regardless of ratchet handle size.
          Again, to anyone trying this, YMMV....if you want all bolts set at exactly 15 in/lbs, buy a torque wrench for the appropriate range, and then install the valve cover. Check them often too, as they do loosen up with use and will no longer be at exactly 15 in/lbs after a week.
          Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Yep 1/3 is 1/3, I was going
            after the "feel", at 6 inches snug is more easily felt than at 12 inches. But all good points. I've been making it a point during my build to clean the threads of any machine screw/nut I remove. Then putting some anti-seize as a preventative. Also, I have a calibrated wrist, it clicks when the appropriate torque is applied...

Mark
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic

Comment

I use two fingers on a 4mm t-handle (I use button head valve cover bolts).

15 inch-pounds is 1.25 foot-pounds. This is VERY little torque.

The cheapest torque driver McMaster-Carr lists that will work in this range is $112.

The Park Tools TW-1 torque wrench reads 0-60 inch-pounds and is about $40.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i don't have that sensitive a wrench so since thumb tight didn't work, i went with pinky tight. i watched the gasket close as i tightened the bolts. if it looked like it was starting to crush, i stopped. ran it to warm and did step one again. let you know tomorrow after my 30 miles to work and back.

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
                  i don't have that sensitive a wrench so since thumb tight didn't work, i went with pinky tight. i watched the gasket close as i tightened the bolts. if it looked like it was starting to crush, i stopped. ran it to warm and did step one again. let you know tomorrow after my 30 miles to work and back.
                  That sounds about right. I do it by feel and amount of crush. My RealGasket has about 50,000 - 60,000 miles on it, so I must be doing something right...
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

my uncle once showed me a trick to installing cork gaskets. when tightening down you watch the square edge of the gasket till it just begins to squish or bulge and your done. I've used this same principle on realgaskets i have on another bike with no leaks.

obviously center bolts on the valve cover you have nothing to watch, but you could get your rhythm down from the outside bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

The cheapest torque driver McMaster-Carr lists that will work in this range is $112.

The Park Tools TW-1 torque wrench reads 0-60 inch-pounds and is about $40.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TW-1.../dp/B000NVCI1U
                      Yes, they are expensive. I did it by feel/eye too, till I lucked out couple years ago and snagged a > $300 Snap-On 'Torqometer' driver (0-30 in/lbs, IIRC) for $35 from an engineering company liquidating all it's tools....an older style, but with current calibration. Anyway, my 'by feel' equation above flowed from there, verifying with the tool showed it was usually within a couple in/lbs of spec. Some do loosen up within a few hundred miles of re-tightening though, so I occasionally finger-check them and tweak a few that are loose with a box wrench where possible, rather than take off the tank etc to use the driver on them. Not too anal about it.
                      Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

it looks good today, no seepage. i probably just screwed it up rushing the first time, anxious to ride it after the first valve adjustment on this bike. but that $35 deal on the torque wrench sounds good.

Comment

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4_200263474Saw this also, check harbor freight as well...
                          -Mark
                          Boston, MA
                          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X