80 gs850 rear brake master cylinder relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs850 rear brake master cylinder relocation

I think I know the answer to this, but let me ask it anyway. I would like to mount my master cylinder for the rear brake horizontally as opposed to vertically, does anyone see a problem with this?
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

As long as it can still get fluid from the reservoir, I see no problem with it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Main problem I see is leaks and having to fill. Not knowing the model and year, Id assume we're talking about the round plastic type with the screw on cap. A bad seal of the cap to the reservoir and all your DOT3 leaks out. Then the issue of refilling a reservoir thats on its side. As small as this style is, is it that tight to not be able to mount cap side up?

Comment

The reservoir is remotely mounted, and I got the impression that he was only turning the master cylinder sideways.
        As long as the reservoir remains somewhat level, I don't think the angle of the master cylinder really matters.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Reservior would be vertical, just the master cylinder is laid out horizontal.
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Can't see any real problem. Main thing is to make sure the resevoir stays vertical, and above the master cylinder. If not, you could have problems with the fluid slushing and starving the master - not to mention leaks and associated corrosion.

- boingk

Comment

Working...
            X