Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SyncPro Carb Tuner- liquid to refill it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SyncPro Carb Tuner- liquid to refill it...

I got the carbs on (finally) and am in the process of sync'ing the bike. However, I ran into a problem- the liquid would sometimes go up too far and somehow air bubbles were introduced into the tubes on 3 out of the 4. I took it apart once and blew the liquid and air down into the chambers with the screw out to get rid of the air pockets. This kind of sort of worked but now they have the same problem again and I lost some fluid in the process. Any suggestions on how to get the air bubbles to stay out and also, how can I refill the liquid without having to buy more?

If you are talking about the gauge with the blue fluid available from Z1 under the Motion Pro brand, no problem.

If you are getting bubbles in the columns, it means your fluid is low. If you (or anyone else) knew what the fluid was, you could probably add some.
    Why not just get some new fluid from Z1? It's only $6.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I spoke at length with the tech support guys at Motion-Pro last year about the same issue...

Essentially, a 50/50 mix of ethyl glycol (antifreeze) & water has the same characteristics as the blue stuff that comes with the Motion-Pro unit. I refilled mine with that mixture & it worked fine. You have to make sure you have the same amount of fluid into each chamber. The tricky part is re-inserting the rigid tubes back into each reservoir, without the fluid being pushed up into the tube.

One trick is to hold your finger over the end of the tube while you push it into the fluid.

After that, you can equalize (calibrate) the level of each tube against the same vacuum source, typically one carb, using the screw at thye bottom of the chamber. Once the fluid in all the tubes read the same height when hooked up (one-at-time) to the same carb it's ready to go

Good luck
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Funny, I was under the impression that they worked much like my mercury sticks. That is, all the tubes are immersed in a common reservoir.
        Assuming you had to remove the tubes (but I can't imagine why) to add fluid, when you push it back into the fluid, the fluid just has to come into the tube. One of the advantages of fluid-based vacuum gauges has been the LACK of need for calibration, so I don't understand why you had to do that.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Funny, I was under the impression that they worked much like my mercury sticks. That is, all the tubes are immersed in a common reservoir.
          Assuming you had to remove the tubes (but I can't imagine why) to add fluid, when you push it back into the fluid, the fluid just has to come into the tube. One of the advantages of fluid-based vacuum gauges has been the LACK of need for calibration, so I don't understand why you had to do that.

As you said, when you push the 4 tubes back into the fluid, the fluid just has to come into the tube. Since the Motion-Pro unit utilizes 4 separate reservoirs, the fluid "climbs" each tube to a slightly different height - hence the need to "calibrate" each tube to each other before use...

The Morgan Carbtune on the other hand uses steel rods in lieu of fluid, that have already been "calibrated" at the factory so no additional calibration is required prior to use.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

OK, ... never had one of them apart, so was not aware that they use four separate reservoirs.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks guys. I know they say their fluid is non-toxic, but if the antifreeze/water combo works I will use it. I would just buy some, but I want to get this done sooner than later as it is getting colder!

Comment

Originally posted by jrazz View Post
                Thanks guys. I know they say their fluid is non-toxic, but if the antifreeze/water combo works I will use it. I would just buy some, but I want to get this done sooner than later as it is getting colder!
                I just e-mailed you a pdf document from Motion-Pro that explains how to refill their unit...

Good luck
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Motion pro

My older Motion Pro unit is mercury filled, the mercury does separate at times, but mostly when the unit is not level, or sync is way out of wack. A light tap on the tube usually settles the mercury, from what I understand is that Mercury does evaporate, I have a small bottle of it for refill...

Comment

Working...
                  X