Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS clutch strip and rebuild

Hi all...

Has anyone got a tried and tested method of replacing the damper springs in the rear of the clutch basket?

I have straight cuts and new rivets to go in and presume you have to drill the old rivets out to alleviate pressure before pushing them out?? I am gonna weld the rivets once done.

Never had to do one before and I've owned GSs for 25 years!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

John

YJ-

Good to see you around these parts. I had the rattling GS1000 clutch basket too due to loose springs in the back and a clutch hub rebuild kit plus some expert welding by GRC cured it. When installed the kit looks like this:

More details:
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

A more DIY approach: http://www.theflyingbanana.com/clutchhub.htm
    Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

You can use washer um I mean shims to stop the springs rattling....

Comment

Just grind the heads off, & press them out. Spring tension isn't a problem. How to get the crank apart to install the crank gear IS the problem. Recommend a qualified shop who has done it before, & learned the do's & dont's of the process.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks PJ,

Crank is already done and need to swap its mating gear onto the new clutch basket, springs are new and backplate is a thing of beauty as well..links are just what I was after cheers.

Mr Phillips....I thangewverrmuch as well

Kiwi...the bodge of washers won't wash lol

I may have a spare straight cut gear if anyone needs one 90 tooth...

cheers guys

YJ

Comment

Working...
          X