Cannot get first gear from neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot get first gear from neutral

Maybe a coincidence but ever since I replaced the starter clutch I am having trouble getting first gear from neutral after I pull up to a light. In fact it is impossible unless the bike is moving. I remember when I was about to start the starter clutch project someone asked if I had this trouble and the answer at the time - was "no".

So any ideas what I should check?

Thanks!

You might want to try reducing the amount of freeplay in the clutch cable and see if that helps.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You don't have an aftermarket clutch pack and/or springs, do you?

My Barnett needs to warm up before you can (skillfully) slip it into neutral
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I click into first with the clutch pulled while coming to a stop and then click into neutral.
        Don't bang on it you will bend the shifter forks. Rock the bike back and forth and it should slip into 1st.
        You really should stop in 1st anyway. That way you can get the hell out of the way if something happens.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

my GS450 automatic goes into 1st fine

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            Be quiet!
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Lolz....yes, it would!
              Littleroot, adjust your clutch exactly as per the Suzuki manual & try again.
              Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

is it mechanical binding or lack of clutch slip?
                the linkage on 82-82 1100E's get sloppy and if not adjusted to compensate for the slop.... the shifter/linkage will bottom out when attempting to go into 1st gear.
                my GS450 auto has NOS and is faster than chef bill's nitro powered "L" model!

Comment

is it mechanical binding or lack of clutch slip?
                  the linkage on 82-82 1100E's get sloppy and if not adjusted to compensate for the slop.... the shifter/linkage will bottom out when attempting to go into 1st gear.
                  It would be.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    It would be.
                    The Chef's creation was tasty, but turned out a little too "well done".
                    Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

linkage on 82-82 1100E's get sloppy and if not adjusted to compensate for the slop.... the shifter/linkage will bottom out when attempting to go into 1st gear.
                      Thats where mine was. Actually it was the pivot shaft for the linkage that was corroded and binding. That shaft has to have some lube. Littleroot has an L. No linkage.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                        Thats where mine was. Actually it was the pivot shaft for the linkage that was corroded and binding. That shaft has to have some lube. Littleroot has an L. No linkage.
                        i could have sworn he was working on an 82E model earlier as far as the starter clutch...seems he had RS miks on it also and even posted a picture or 2.
                        maybe i have him confused with someone else
                        littleroot am i smokin some bad stuff or what????

Comment

i could have sworn he was working on an 82E model earlier as far as the starter clutch...seems he had RS miks on it also and even posted a picture or 2.
                          maybe i have him confused with someone else
                          littleroot am i smokin some bad stuff or what????
                          Probably..............

Comment

Yep, it is a Barnett clutch the PO put in. But he later removed the Barnett springs as he said they were too hard to pull.

I had not thought about this but yes the clutch cable probably needs adjusting anyway as it is 1) harder to start in first with clutch pulled in and 2) much harder to push the bike with in first gear with clutch lever pulled (most people here say that is normal.

The good news is it has forced me to get into 1st gear every time I stop which is the right thing to do!

Thanks for the tip.
                            -Bob

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            You don't have an aftermarket clutch pack and/or springs, do you?

My Barnett needs to warm up before you can (skillfully) slip it into neutral

Comment

Find a stock clutch pack and replace it. I bet a dollar to a doughnut it will solve your problem. Is it easier to get into gear after the bike is warmed up ?
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X