Attention, carb rebuilders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I usually like to do a sync check at the same time. I will check the sync, then, while the gauges are still attached, check the mixture, then re-check the sync to make sure it hasn't changed.
    thanks, i hope i can afford the sync tool before i do this. when i did the intake o-rings last week, i used an ornament hanger from the christmas tree and matched all the throttles with this high-tech improvisation. i know this is not the most complete way

Comment

Here is a copy from a post I made in another thread concerning a bench sync:
      To get even closer, use LIGHT. I gave up trying to match the drag from one carb to another because I might not have the device placed in exactly the same spot on each carb. By simply holding the carbs up to a light, you can visually inspect the size of the gap under the throttle butterfly. Since I have started doing that, there has been no problem starting a bike, and only minimal tweaking once I connect the gauges.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
        thanks, i hope i can afford the sync tool before i do this. when i did the intake o-rings last week, i used an ornament hanger from the christmas tree and matched all the throttles with this high-tech improvisation. i know this is not the most complete way
        If you are careful, you can get a simple bench sync, BETTER, than most people have their carbs 'balanced'. It isn't perfect, but done carefully, most wouldn't know the difference unless the gauges were applied. Even with the Morgan, as Steve said, it is good practice to run through them at least twice, if your fuZZZZZZy. I am...

The GS bikes are so smoooooooooth with a good tune.

Comment

brilliant, never thought of that

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
            brilliant, never thought of that
            What, copying from another post?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I was adjusting the mixture screws on my 80 550 last night and everything was going fine until I got to cylinder number 4. The screw had no effect on idle, and in fact I could screw it all the way in and it ran OK. Sure enough that plug was black. So how is the gas getting in? Through the choke? I cleaned the carbs but did not separate them and replace those o-rings, so I figure it's close to being sync'd. Checked the fuel level in the bowl and it's right on, 5mm below the bowl gasket line.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve314159 View Post
                I cleaned the carbs but did not separate them and replace those o-rings, ...
                You may now join the ranks of those who have found out that taking shortcuts when cleaning and rebuilding the carbs turns out to be longcuts.

Sorry, but if you did not separate the carbs, you did not clean them properly.

Now, about your idle mixture problem. Take the mixture adjustment screw out and compare it to one of the others. I'd almost bet that the tip is broken off and you can't turn the mixture down. If the tip is broken off, I would make sure that it's not stuck in a carb somewhere, causing other problems.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

The screw is not broken.

I started this project before I found this site. I know better now. My fear of taking them apart was that I wouldn't get them in sync after. But that doesn't look that hard now.

That being said the bike is at least looking pretty good and it runs so I'm making progress. I'll post before and afters some day in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                  X