Replacing sealed beam with H4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing sealed beam with H4?

Last night I took my first extended night ride on my GS550E, and was not entirely satisfied with how much light the headlight was putting out. It has a sealed beam. My dead GS650L has an H4 unit with a much better beam pattern, which I was completely satisfied with. I've also replaced sealed beams with H4s in my Miata and my old Saturn SC2. Ran them for years, with no trouble from state inspection or law enforcement.

I thought of just swapping the entire headlight assembly over from my 650, but its chrome, the dent, and a little rust would look very out of place on my sleek, black 550. Would it work if I got an H4 lens and bulb and replaced the sealed beam with it, like I did on my cars? Do I need a motorcycle specific lens, or can I just pick one up like I'd use on the car? Knowing the GS electrical system, I wouldn't run a bulb stronger than 60/55 watts, which is the stock spec for the H4 headlight some 550s came with (and, from what I can tell, is no longer available).

Re: Replacing sealed beam with H4?

If the two headlights are the same diameter, you can swap the H-4 inside hardware into the sealed beam shell and lens retainer rings. I did that on my 750.

Earl

Originally posted by Zook
    Last night I took my first extended night ride on my GS550E, and was not entirely satisfied with how much light the headlight was putting out. It has a sealed beam. My dead GS650L has an H4 unit with a much better beam pattern, which I was completely satisfied with. I've also replaced sealed beams with H4s in my Miata and my old Saturn SC2. Ran them for years, with no trouble from state inspection or law enforcement.

I thought of just swapping the entire headlight assembly over from my 650, but its chrome, the dent, and a little rust would look very out of place on my sleek, black 550. Would it work if I got an H4 lens and bulb and replaced the sealed beam with it, like I did on my cars? Do I need a motorcycle specific lens, or can I just pick one up like I'd use on the car? Knowing the GS electrical system, I wouldn't run a bulb stronger than 60/55 watts, which is the stock spec for the H4 headlight some 550s came with (and, from what I can tell, is no longer available).
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Headlight units for a car have a different beam pattern than those made for motorcycles. A car unit will give more light, but a motorcycle unit will give a better pattern.

Comment

Also, I believe H-4 bulbs meant for motorcycles are manufactured a little differently so as to be more vibration resistant. It may be questionable to use a car intended bulb.

Earl

Originally posted by Gary
        Headlight units for a car have a different beam pattern than those made for motorcycles. A car unit will give more light, but a motorcycle unit will give a better pattern.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I ran that set-up on a Honda 450 i had, and it worked great, much more light. I did, however, carry a spare H-4 in the bag just incase... :twisted:

Comment

I would love to do that with my 450l. Is there a kit offered anywhere

Kyle

Comment

Sylvania Silverstar

I was going to try a high wattage halogen in my '83 1100E but the guys here warned me from doing that due to the fragile electrical system. I ended up with a 55/60 watt Sylvania Silverstar. The color, brightness, and pattern are SOOOOOO much better than the original H4 that I got two more for my other (non-Suzuki.......Sorry) bikes. I haven't had any problems with vibration but I will keep a spare with me.
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Re: Sylvania Silverstar

Where did you find a 55/60 silverstar? Most auto bulbs are much higher wattage (and power draw).

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                I was going to try a high wattage halogen in my '83 1100E but the guys here warned me from doing that due to the fragile electrical system. I ended up with a 55/60 watt Sylvania Silverstar. The color, brightness, and pattern are SOOOOOO much better than the original H4 that I got two more for my other (non-Suzuki.......Sorry) bikes. I haven't had any problems with vibration but I will keep a spare with me.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle
                  I would love to do that with my 450l. Is there a kit offered anywhere

Kyle
                  I had bought mine through J.C. Whitney, in the lighting section of the catalog. :twisted:

Comment

Earl,

I got them from a local (suburban Chicago) Autozone store. They were $20. One of the best $20 investments I've ever made. If you can't locate them I could pick them up and send them to you. It couldn't cost but a few bucks to ship them.

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Hey Zook.

Check to see if your PMs are full....

Sorry guys. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Cragar 8)

Comment

There should be an autozone somewhere here in the southern boonies. :-)
                        If I cant find them, I'll send you some money. eh ehe eh thanks

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                        Earl,

I got them from a local (suburban Chicago) Autozone store. They were $20. One of the best $20 investments I've ever made. If you can't locate them I could pick them up and send them to you. It couldn't cost but a few bucks to ship them.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X