New Problems with Transmission/Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Problems with Transmission/Clutch

So right now my clutch I think is slipping. What it's doing is that when I go and shift up on the bike, and then lay into the trottle it will rev up to about 6 to 8 thousand RPM's and then engage and then will start moving again. And it doesn't do it all the time and if I just slowly roll into the throtle it won't do it. Only when I hammer it. I think It may be my clutch is worn but I have no idea and it doesn't do it in the lower gears it seems like. Also, another thing is that it won't go into neutral unless the engine is off. So is my clutch worn, transmission shoty or what?

First thing to check is to make sure there is a little slack in your clutch cable adjustment.

If that is OK, you likely need a new set of clutch springs. About $20 for a set of stock springs (no need for heavy-duty or high-performance) and maybe another $10 for a gasket and you will be good to go.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Where can I get springs? And how hard is it to replace them? And whats the difference between Heavy duty and stock? Why aren't the HD one's worth it?

Comment

this is where I would get it, since they are close by,

Comment

How many do I need?

Comment

six springs one clutch cover gasket

Comment

Its pretty easy...

Hopefully you wont have any stuck or stripped screws in your clutch cover.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks guys. This bites, I just put brand new Oil in it mabe 20 miles ago. I guess I'll have to go buy more though. Oh well. Thanks for the tips.

Just a question about the basic functionality of the clutch, how does it work? Why does the springs allow slip and how does it work with the clutch being wet and having 8 plates?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
                  This bites, I just put brand new Oil in it mabe 20 miles ago. I guess I'll have to go buy more though.
                  NOT. Do it on the side stand. No need to drain the oil.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ah, thanks, I didn't even think about that.

Comment

BE CAREFULL of the 10mm screws They can be streached and break when retorqued

Comment

Most slipping clutches grab until 6000 and then slip.
                        They don't grab at 6000.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
                          Just a question about the basic functionality of the clutch, how does it work? Why does the springs allow slip and how does it work with the clutch being wet and having 8 plates?
                          The clutch works because the springs are pushing all the plates together. If the springs are weak, they won't push the plates together as well, and they will slip under power. Keep in mind that the plates are "wet" with engine oil and you can appreciate just why it's necessary to have good springs in there.

Bike Bandit is OK for buying your parts, but just about everyone else (except Alpha Sports) is cheaper.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Slip?

Was it slipping before you put the new oil? If not, maybe the oil has some kind of additives?
                            G
                            sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                            2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                            Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                            '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Second that on the oil type. Make sure the oil you are using is approved for wet clutch applications. I do not remember the spec but you can't go wrong buying a name brand oil intended for wet clutch motorcycle use.

Comment

Working...
                              X