Deja vous - Rebuild carbs, now tuning questings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
    ... carb heights were all set to 24mm, but come to think of it my float needles did sag about 1mm each.. so im probably somewhere near 22.5/23 could that cause me to run way to lean to ride? ... I guess the carbs have to come back out and install all new floats, and float needles huh?
    ordered new float needles.. new floats are 30 dollars a piece at the bandit.. yeah thats making away like a bandit alright..

could the fact that I only turned my pilot fuel screws out about 1 turn be causing me to run lean?

(sorry for all the stupid questions this is my first bike / first time so .. I'm just trying to learn.)
    No problem on the qustions, that's how we all learn.

If your floats sagged about 1.5mm like you said, you would actually be at the level of about 25.5, not 22.5mm. Look at it this way: they closed at 25.5, but then sagged down to 24, where you set them. Try turning the carbs slightly sideways so the entire weight of the floats is not resting on the float valve, compressing the spring. If your floats are actually set at 25.5, you are running too lean.

With a stock bike (airbox and exhaust pipe), 1 full turn out on the pilot fuel screw is almost too much. Stock setting is about 5/8, most find that about 3/4 works well for stock bikes. As a starting point, set the pilot air screw at twice the fuel screw setting. If the fuel screw is at 3/4, set the air screw at 1.5. You will have to tweak it from there, just be sure to do each carb individually, they may need different settings.

If you don't like paying Bandit's prices, shop someplace else. I think only Alpha Sports charges more than Bike Bandit.

Here are some others from which you can choose:

Alpha Sports
    Babbittsonline
    Bike Bandit
    Carolina Cycle
    Cycle Parts Nation
    CYCLE-RE-CYCLE
    Full throttle
    Motogrid
    MR Cycles
    PartShark (formerly Flatout)
    Partsnmore
    Ron Ayers
    Z1 Enterprises

Probably the cheapest, in order:
    Cycle Parts Nation
    PartShark
    Babbittsonline

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you!

I noticed my spark plugs are B6-ES

People say B8-Es is the correct plug, since I have the incorrect heat range plug in there (got the bike like this) what effect could this be having on my drivability?

Comment

If your floats sagged about 1.5mm like you said, you would actually be at the level of about 25.5, not 22.5mm. Look at it this way: they closed at 25.5, but then sagged down to 24, where you set them. Try turning the carbs slightly sideways so the entire weight of the floats is not resting on the float valve, compressing the spring. If your floats are actually set at 25.5, you are running too lean.
        That is why you need to measure the fuel level in the bowls. Before spending money on new floats, adjust your carbs properly. You also want to have the correct heat range plugs in it. When I got my KZ750, the PO had the incorrect heat range installed also. No doubt to try and compensate for the incorrectly jetted and dirty carbs.

Comment

I noticed my spark plugs are B6-ES

People say B8-Es is the correct plug, since I have the incorrect heat range plug in there (got the bike like this) what effect could this be having on my drivability?
          The B6 is two heat ranges hotter. Likely, the plugs were fouling, so somebody thought it would be better to apply a band-aid instead of applying a cure.

Keep in mind that spark plugs do not create heat. Using a hotter plug does not make the engine run hotter, nor does a colder plug make it run cooler.
          Spark plugs only dissapate heat, and it's that dissapation rate that determines the heat range of the plug.

Recommendation: put a set of stock plugs in, run the bike for a bit, do some plug chops to check your jetting.
          If the jetting is wrong, change the jetting, not the spark plugs.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

the B6's were carbon hell.. the bike seemed to be running crazy rich - i was getting less than 25mpg.

i have a new set of B8's and ill install as soon as my new float needles arrive and i get those in, to do a more accurate measure of my floats. and re-adjust my pilot fuel screws maybe?

what do you mean by plug chop?
            Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Look here

or search plug chop on this forum.

Comment

anybody have a garage and live in NJ... warren county or local? I wish I had someoneto help me work on things.. or even a garage. It was not fun putting my bike back together out in the snow the other day.

Will compensate for your troubles...

conversation, food, money.. i just want my bike to run properly with out me making it worse or breaking anything else.. !
                Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2009, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Do you own a car? Maybe you should just park the bike until the weather gets warmer.

Riding in freezing temperatures is no fun unless you've got a goldwing like steve

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                    Riding in freezing temperatures is no fun unless you've got a goldwing like steve
                    Hey, who said it was "fun"?

Having the wind pushed away from you with a monster fairing and wearing heated clothing just makes it "tolerable".

What's really "fun" is to see the look on people's faces in their cars. They think I'm out here freezing, they have no idea how cozy I am.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I do have a car, and sold my truck last night so now I've got a little more space to work (in the yard) but no solid ground and no cover. (which is why I wish I had somebody to help me out.)

On my test drive (i have no front fairing and no windshield) it was in the 30's outside and the only part of me that even got slightly cold was my fingers. The gear I bought seems to be performing very well, I just need some sort of riding pants. I was wearing my double knee dickies work pants, so after 30 mins or so my knee caps start to feel cool but next to the engine even the legs stay warm. The boots - forget it.. my feet were sweating.

I can imagine being completely warm on a bike which has a front fairing or even just a windshield. I do prefer the temp to be 40 or better to ride though.

My father and best friend both said "are you kidding me, come on it's winter you can't ride the bike through the winter.. what are you thinking?" haha

Seriously though, there is nothing more fun than riding a motorcycle that you can do by yourself.

Comment

I rode for 2 hours coming back from Reading PA, 65 mph+, temp was in high forties, high winds and I froze my ass off. Bike has a windshield, insulated jacket, boots, gloves..didn't make any difference. I was so miserable, I had to stop at a walmart and buy extra clothes.

Comment

Working...
                        X