air box to carb boots!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air box to carb boots!!!!!

What is the easiest way to get the air box to carb boots back on in a 85 gs550e?? I am about ready to get rid of the bike i have had for only a few weeks due to not running right and fighting these stupid boots. Any ideas?

I just put my carbs back in today on my 79 gs550.. i dunno if your air box is the same but im guessing its similar..

With the carbs out, make sure both sides of air box are connected - boot side, and filter side with the screws. Do not bolt the air box to the frame yet though

As long as the carbs are connected to the head, place hands on either side of air box, and press onto carbs. if you cant get them to slide, warm them up with a dryer to make them more plyable, or a little squirt of lube should do the trick.

If they still won't slide on, today I had to use a flat head screw driver - placed against the edge of the clamp, and press forward to slide it all the way onto the carb.. careful they dont come out of the air box itself. Also be sure the clamps are loose enough when installing not to prevent you from sliding them onto the carbs.

Once all 4 are back on the carbs, secure the air box to the frame and you should be good.

Comment

79's got it right. They're a bugger to put back on, but do it once or twice and you'll be an old pro. The key here is PATIENCE!! You may have to develop muscles in your arms you didn't know you have as you'll be bent over in a position that's just not right. Patience and even pressure will do the trick. Or, grow a third hand, whichever is easiest - LOL!! Start on one end and work your way to the other. Like he said, a small blade screwdriver braced on the edge of the boot and the airbox can act like a wedge and you'll pop them babies on in no time.

Comment

Got them on but bike still wont run right.. I am done with it and getting rid of it

Comment

A good trick is soak them in hot water for awhile..makes them alot more flexible and a little silicone spray helps as well.

DDM

Comment

why did you take them off?
            maybe the slide diaphrams have pin hole in one, or a small tear, 1 pin hole and they will not run right
            also when cleaning them , there is a pilot jet in cv carbs ,that is under the rubber plug! check each year on microfiche to be certain (its free), lil paitience, you will be a lot happier, and it will run like its suppose to if that is the problem

Comment

Your name has the word mechanic in it - this should only be a little troubleshooting on your behalf which is what being a mechanic is all about.

Keep working on it, you'll be glad you did when you get it running right.

Comment

The best way to handle this problem is to buy new boots. The old ones shrink quite a bit with age, and new ones aren't that expensive.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i have the same problem with mine. if the boots seat fully, the bracket won't line up and vice versa. i'm going to order new boots, because i don't see the flexibility in the current ones like i see on the link on basscliff's site. they're around 11 bucks each at bike bandit.

Comment

Working...
                  X